1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earl Campbell says black QBs are the only way to go

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm sure it might generate a lot of clicks, but in what capacity is Earl Campbell an authority on this matter whose opinion should be treated as a possible position Texas might take in future recruiting? It is an old man saying a dumb thing. He is 64 years old. He played college football in 1977. No one who is being intellectually honest believes Texas would ever say "Gosh, this is correct. Let's stop recruiting whites." So why again should an ignorant opinion that has zero chance of every becoming the policy be a "big story?"

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Because he’s arguably the biggest star in the program’s history his opinions carry a lot of freight with certain people or at least get the platform like this. The author of the article passed his statement along without the sort of commentary you provided, neither condoning or criticizing such obviously racist opinions. That’s a miss.

For better or worse, Joe Namath has a similar station with the Jets.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ftfy

4. CD Boogie

Oof

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Quarterbacking now is as much about “class”’ than anything.

Summer and winter Dilfer camps. Manning camps. This all costs money where all of the other positions don’t.

wicked and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The notion of a Dilfer camp to produce quality quarterback play is still something I can't get used to.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

Dave Duncan and Walt Hriniak weren’t hall of Famers either but they could teach it up

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I’ve listened to him on ESPN and other places for a year. Learn a ton about the position.

I’ll never be a big time news anchor who pulls in 300k but I’ve taught more than a few who are pulling that down in big makets.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

David Cutcliffe.

Draft saved Draft deleted