1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tarasenko out five months. Obviously a huge blow to the Blues.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's the Athletic, so you obviously need a subscription, but an interesting read on Jonathan Toews and his desire to see a radical change to the NHL schedule with more series and less travel.

Introducing the Toews Schedule, a dramatically reimagined...

I don't hate it, though I do dislike the idea of not playing teams from the other conference home and away. You should be able to see every team in the league in your building at least once. I've seen some weird back to backs in recent years (Caps in Chicago one night, in Carolina the next, with predictably ugly results on the second night). Once Seattle comes into the league, going to four-team divisions -- four in each conference -- could be an answer. Play your division foes four times each (18 games), three each against two other divisions in the conference (24 games), home and away against another division (8 games), and home and away with the other conference (32 games). That gets you to 82 games. Your division winners each make the playoffs, with the four best records in the conference after that getting in as well as wild cards. (Sorry, I'm a bit of a scheduling nerd and I clearly don't have enough to do at work today.)

EAST
    NYR, NYI, PHI, NJ
    BOS, MTL, BUF, TOR
    DET, OTT, CBJ, PIT
    WSH, CAR, FLA, TB

WEST
    CHI, STL, MIN, WPG
    SEA, VAN, CAL, EDM
    LA, ANA, SJ, VGK
    DAL, NSH, COL, ARI

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Bring back Red Wings - Blackhawks.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The problem is that the NHL way overexpanded, so it is difficult to play enough games against your division rivals, which keeps the rivalries meaningful, while also being able to play every other team in the league twice AND keep any other out-of-division rivalries intact. An 82 game season doesn't allow for it anymore. Something has to get lost. The most noticeable thing for me has been what justglad said. ... My team is the Rangers, and I wish they played Chicago, Detroit, Toronto and Boston more than twice each. I'd gladly sacrifice games in Arizona, Vegas, Nashville to get those games, but it's not doable with the schedule as it is. I agree, it's ridiculous that Chicago and Detroit only play twice.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The current geographical breakdown is weird with Detroit and Chicago, Original Six archrivals in opposite conferences, so most of the unbalanced schedule plans have them meeting only a couple times a year.
    Of course, for 20-some years while the Red Wings were really good, they were Western Conference while four of the Original Six were Eastern, so you only got a couple Detroit-Toronto, Montreal, Boston and New York games per year.

Now the Red Wings suck again, and from all appearances will for several more seasons, people aren't as worked up about it.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Detroit and Nashville are the most problematic teams, geographically. Detroit fans want to be back in the West but the team sure doesn't want to be, not with all of those 10 p.m. EST starts and ridiculous travel. Nashville is probably the league's most isolated team, not within four hours of anyone. (EDIT: Actually, Colorado has to be the most isolated, my bad.)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When the league goes to 32 next year, that's a perfect geometrical number for divisions, etc etc.

However with 32 teams and an 82-game schedule, it's obvious no easy schedule solution is possible.

Of course, there's probably a franchise shift or two coming in the next several years (Arizona to Quebec??)

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't the NHL try something like this a few years back? A lot of fans out West howled how they'd only see some of the Eastern teams on their ice every other year. I could also see the NHL's U.S. TV partners ignoring the Western Division even more, unless necessary, say, the Kings or Sharks getting hot.

OTOH, more SJS-VGK games? Wow.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Nashville's true rival are the Red Wings. Fans aren't called Predwings for nothing.

10. The Big Ragu

Really sick "lacrosse move" goal the other night by Andrei Svechnikov.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

Also, anyone else on here following the Mark Pavelich story?

He allegedly attacked a friend / neighbor "spiking his beer" several weeks ago and really hurt the guy.

The court had him evaluated and he was found incompetant to stand trial. His family is saying he has been steadily drifting downhill the last few years, refuses help, and they attribute it to CTE.

It's really sad to read.

Liut likes this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I for one am happy the Wings are back in the East where they belong

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted