1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I hadn't heard that Macatee was cut as well.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Missed that

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And he won Bridgestone eight times! And he's won two other events seven times. So there are four events that someone's won seven or more times. Tiger's got three of those.

Post-scandal Tiger now has 11 victories, 1 major, a Players Championship and ascended to world No. 1, meaning, with the current criteria for World Golf Hall of Fame, he's done enough since the fire hydrant (years when he often looked like the worst player in the world, and that's when he was actually even playing) to earn induction once he turns 50. Fortunately he also had the first 14 years of his career to pad the resume.

But it is true Tiger has failed to win at age 52.

maumann and JC like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Saw that the other night.
    Very very good on him.
    If I'm the R&A, instead of having Clarke go back to back, I'd send this kid out first.
    They probably won't, but it would cement their legacy as being the best of the four, FWIW.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

CBS is notably tight-fisted with a buck. And with as many people who are part of the golf-media following the tour from stop to stop - wouldn't be tough to find a golf writer to fill in. Hell, I'm amazed Verducci was able to turn a game 7 story in hours after working a game for Fox. Is there a sport where the announcers bring less to the table than golf? Even if they know a guy is going through a bad divorce or has been struggling with an injury, they aren't likely to bring it up. It's mostly - what does the lie look like and what is he hitting.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This is so true, and why I would kill for some sort of alternate audio to a broadcast where ex-players/coaches/announcers/media are talking about the action but also dishing some dirt (within reason) and what really makes these guys tick. The problem is the sport is so insular and everyone's covering their ass in some way to keep a sponsorship or a gig or whatever. You'd need guys who have been there/done that and have nothing to hide or protect anymore -- like maybe Kostis and McCord. I'm sure they'll end up on a podcast, joining the already crowded wiseacre golf podcast world, but the real void is during those three hours of TV golf on weekends. And don't tell me to just follow Twitter, 'cause that sucks.

maumann likes this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It was a wonderful story but Van Pelt went too far to call for a special exemption into a major. That's the most slippery of slopes. If the player gets a couple extra sponsor exemptions into lower-level tournaments, then that's great -- and a sponsor would be smart to look him up.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not PGA related, but did anyone see the European Tour allowing players to wear shorts this week in South Africa?
    I'm watching it, and it just looks different. I do think it will only be a matter of time before it's allowed all over tour.
    Just heard the guys say that at 6:30 this morning, it was 31 degrees Celsius (87 Fahrenheit).

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My “old man yelling at cloud and shaking fist moment”: I hope the Tour keeps the pants rule. They can wear shorts in practice. But don’t change for events.

Yes, I wear shorts for every round I play above 55 degrees. But I’d happily wear pants to be a pro.

Also, I’m annoyed by people who wear pajamas to the airport and wear tank tops and flip flops to a Broadway show.

Now everyone, kindly evacuate my lawn.

Chef2 likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Our local PGA section allowed their professionals to wear shorts in our State Open and Senior Open this year for the first time. It was a little weird to see, to be honest. Plus, as a photog it was easier to identify the pro in a threesome since he was wearing pants.

Draft saved Draft deleted