1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

McCord had gotten to be a one-trick pony. And he was running out of one-liners.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What do you want? Abbot and Costello?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

DL3 and the Immelman brothers aren't exactly must-see TV. I mean, are we going to see the damn rainbow after Love won his only major in every broadcast. What did the Eye accomplish with these moves? It's a regression.

5. DL3 will say nothing controversial.

He's perfect. (eyeroll)

6. He has 94 victories recognized by the PGA of America. it's kind of like the 59 he shot at the Greenbrier, back in the day. It was not, if I recall correctly,. recognized by the Tour, because it was a non-Tour event.
    Several years he ago he lobbied the Tour to recognize a couple of his other victories. No dice.

And Woods has played a tougher field.
    Has he won an event at almost 53 years old? Finished Top 3 in a major when at the age of 61?
    Win an event a record 8 times? Greater Greensboro Open.

Woods won't age as well as Snead. That's a fact.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They'd have never said it, but it would have been more forthcoming to cop to it as salary cuts for two guys who had been there for three decades. CBS did some trimming of some off-camera staff last year too, so there's precedent.

But yeah, at the end of the day this doesn't really change CBS' product, which just isn't that good. That's partially on them and partially on the PGA Tour, which requires too much crap during broadcasts from all its TV partners (interview with the sponsor's CEO!) and not enough "insider" access. Every caddie should have been miked years ago, for starters.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Eldrick has won Bay Hill/Arnie's tournament eight times.

And in his defense, we have yet to see him at age 53. Or 61.

Not trying to be his apologist, but ...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Beat me to the Bay Hill reference by about 30 seconds.
    Also, Bay Hill had much tougher fields than what Snead faced at Greensboro.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Have zero issues with the hires. But Gary McCord was a great reason to tune in. With all due respect, I'm not sure Davis Love III has a fraction of McCord's personality. (Wonder how much Augusta loves the hire ... and if they had input, however indirect, on these moves).

Kostis' knowledge of swing theories and thoughts didn't hurt the coverage at all. I mean, NBC/Golf Channel has microanalyzed a lot of the same and I hear no one griping about that.

Makes me wonder if Jim Nantz and Nick Faldo are really costing CBS that much. No way someone like Amanda Balionis is costing the network big bucks.

Bottom line: CBS hasn't bothered with much of anything since the days of Frank Chirkinian. And NBC/Golf Channel has made clear that they're more invested. Do we know if CBS made any serious attempt to keep David Feherty when he went to NBC/Golf Channel?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do agree that sports broadcasting is pretty stale. Didn't realize McCord was 72. And I'm guessing Uncle Verne is still doing Augusta. Not sure if one of them was an Immelman, but the broadcasters who did the Masters Streaming broadcast were better than Nantz. A lot less syrupy.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nantz has to be making $5 million or more, and that's hard to argue with his workload. I'm guessing Faldo makes seven figures as a lead analyst. Then you'd have had McCord's/Kostis' large tenured salaries followed by a huge drop-off to the rest. Ian Baker-Finch can't be making that much -- and he also doesn't add jack to a broadcast if you ever listen to him.

Less publicized was how CBS also cut Bill Macatee -- so who's going to be the lead analyst at the likes of the John Deere, when Nantz is off? Pressing question, I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted