1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Amazing to see he didn't win any majors in 2003-4.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tiger's streak of 142 made cuts over seven years (seven years!) is right up with the 82 wins if you ask me. He was in his prime and seemingly on autopilot at times, but when he wasn't, he never dogged it. Never quietly went out on Friday to steal a weekend off when he probably knew he was cruising toward a T35 or something. That record just gets better with every passing year because, as someone said, virtually no one's playing to feed their family anymore and you're set for the year with three top-10s. A guy like Koepka will bag majors and treat some lesser Tour events like glorified two-round practice sessions, but in his day Tiger was never mailing it in. I love that record.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

For me TW’s greatness is defined by 7 majors in 11 (2000-2002 IIRC)

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

With you on this. And he's still only missed 20. Spieth has missed more already. 15 of Tiger's have come post-scandal, so between 1996 and 2009 it was five. Rory has missed six past two seasons, one of which included him being Player of the Year.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't there an early-season tournament midway through this streak where he was going to miss the cut but weather postponed it midway through the second round, to be continued later in the year? Then he simply did not return, took a WD instead. To me, a WD is the same as missing a cut.

6. playthrough

I agree with WDs equaling MCs in general, but those later-year postponements are weird. He wouldn't have been the only one, not that that's an excuse.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No. That was the 1998 Pebble Beach Pro Am. It finished like 6 months later. The cut was after 54 holes. Tiger didn't come back to finish; he was in like 140th place after two rounds. Like 40 other players didn't come back either. So he probably wouldn't have made it, though given his history at Pebble, maybe he does. But it's moot. The streak officially started the week after the Pro Am (the February part), at the Buick. And ended seven years later; no asterisks.

8. playthrough

CBS Sports officially hires Davis Love III, and other reports say that Trevor Immelman and his instructor brother Mark will also have significant roles. Not exactly riveting additions. I'm sure DL3 will be a perfectly syrupy addition to the proceedings at the toooonamint in Augusta, but I can't see him offering much criticism of today's players. Maybe I'm wrong.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What bullshit.
    McCord is steaming mad, and has every right to be.
    I have to think the peacock will pick him and Kostis up.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

McCord is the one who would make these incredibly goofy sounds during play, right?

He was kind of an uncomfortable listen.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The KonicaMinoltaBizHub swing cam will never be the same. #RIPKostis

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What wins are you talking about for Snead. The Lynchburg Open? The Greenbrier Member-guest? Feel free to document those victories you feel the Tour is not recognizing.

Draft saved Draft deleted