1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 MLB Running Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't agree with this at all. Look at Houston. Everyone goes there and starts pitching better. Everyone comes to the Yankees and takes steps backwards (Paxton, Gray etc.). So either everyone is scared of NY, or there's room for improvement.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree about Gray, but he wasn't with the team this year. Paxton gave them exactly what he had given with Seattle the last 2 or 3 years, maybe even a bit more because of that 3 to 4 month run he had.

They had a starting pitching staff this year that included Domingo German, who gave them way more than they could have expected, Paxton, who did exactly what they should have expected, Tanaka, who gave as much as anyone should have expected given that his arm is hanging on by a thread at this point, Sabathia, who they shouldn't have expected much from, and a mishmash of "opener" games, followed by the bullpen. The bullpen was pretty much lights out, as it should have been with the amount of talent they collected, the injury to Betances notwithstanding.

The diehards have wanted Rothschild gone for years now, seeing him as a fossil, but I don't care who was pitching coach this year, that staff did as much or more than anyone should have expected. On day one, we all knew that starting pitching was what was going to be what prevented them from getting to a championship.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You want to judge a guy who has been there for 9 years just on his last year of work? There's a pattern. With position players, we've seen guys come to the Yankees and improve (Urshela, Tauchman...), we used to see it with pitchers too (Chacon, Small) and we see competing teams do it too.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Judge him by his 9 years then. In general terms, they have had teams year after year with shitty to mediocre starting pitching and lights out bullpens.

I think he did exactly what any pitching coach could have done with the teams he coached. ... working to the strength, which consistently has been the bullpen. This year, the starting pitching was pretty fragile, and that taxed the bullpen too much. Do you really think that was Rothschild's fault?

Who exactly were the pitchers you think should have been better than they actually were over the last 8 or 9 years, and when you dwell on Sonny Gray or maybe Nathan Eovaldi (who actually wasn't that bad with he Yankees), do you also then give Rothschild the same kind of credit for Severino and German breaking out?.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd love to know what they believe the definition of sustained success and competitiveness might be

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I know Boston, and I do, competitiveness will be defined by "look at our farm system" for at least five seasons -- 10 if they trade Betts.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Boston going with the Jewish GM theory. Epstein and Bloom

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Metheny to the Royals expected to be made official today.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Presser going on right now.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Encarnacion’s option is not picked up. $5m buyout v $20m salary

8th straight season of 30+HR.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Cardinals might have been better in 2018 if he was Meth-eny. Alas, he was just Matheny.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted