1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 MLB Running Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 24, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Phillies will hire Girardi. Ross already hired in Chicago.

Kind of surprised they’re announcing these during the World Series.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Doing my best not to remember over the next week that Anthony Rendon is a free agent, and Strasburg can opt out of his deal.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As you should. Don't let worrying about what comes next keep you from enjoying what is happening now.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Yeah, Pats fans have that space covered. Miserable bunch of pricks led by Felger and Mazz.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Astros bench coach Joe Espada appears to be the top pick for the Giants. Reportedly flying to San Francisco today.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The other finalist for the Cubs job - I read somewhere Espada and Ross had to give a clubhouse speech as part of the interview process. Trying to get my arms around that, how you'd create the emotion that goes into that out of thin air.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was the speech they'd give the first day of spring training. I would've hired the one who had the wit to talk about how a dying Harry Caray told him that whenever the going got real tough, tell the boys to go out there and win one for Budweiser.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would have gone with the classic - "PUT THE COFFEE DOWN!"

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Tough to give that one with how Kimbrel pitched this year, though.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Larry Rothschild out as Yankees pitching coach after 9 seasons.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/28/yankees-parting-ways-with-pitching-coach-larry-rothschild/

Not sure what is behind it, but they got as much out of the pitchers they actually had this season as anyone could expect. The story makes it sound like they are ready to to turn the job over to an iPad running a proprietary program. Unless they can program the iPad to take the mound and pitch, too, I am not sure it is going to lead to any better results.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They got rid of everybody but the guy who is the real problem, owner Bob Nutting. Huntington managed to overcome a terrible, penny-pinching owner for a while. I hope he gets another shot in a better situation.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted