1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston PR vs. the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 12, 2019.

1. AD

AD Active Member

the nats pr -- specifically the group trucked down with the expos -- used to be horribly arrogant and obstructive, the worst experience i have ever had with a baseball club. last season, they were much improved. but overall, the d.c. press corps should get a medal for putting up with their nonsense.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t think this is about shitty PR.

The Astros either did not believe the women or figured Taubman did it and just didn’t have a real problem with it.

Which is why I’d like to see these tweets. The tweets - perhaps scrubbed now - were clearly “the issue” at hand and Taubman had his response locked and loaded when they beat the Yankees and the woman was in his field of vision.

As it stands, I suspect the Stros are trying to get away with something here, letting Taubman take the sole fall for this. I think all 3 statements are shams.

3. drexler

drexler New Member

On the whole, also crappy. One of the benefits of the Nationals being in the playoffs over the years is that other reporters had to deal with their PR staff on bigger stages. They got exposed for how inept they were and that feedback trickled back. They've had some reorganization the last two or three years.

4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Here's my Nationals story:

When Frank Robinson died, I wanted to do a little something because my baseball team played the Nationals in a spring training game in their inaugural season. We found a pic of our coach and Robinson, and enough for a tweet, but I contacted someone in their PR office to see if they had anything available.

"We don't have that information. Your best bet is to contact that school," was the e-mail.

"I am that school ... and you are the F--- G---- Washington Nationals....." is what I wanted to say. But I didn't.

So, 50 percent inspired and 50 percent pissed off, I went down to the county library. 35 minutes of microfilming later, here's what I -- the tiny school -- cobbled together that the MLB team couldn't.

Bethune-Cookman Also Had A Frank Robinson Connection - Bethune-Cookman University Athletics

And damn it, it felt good when I sent them the link and offered it for their tweeting....

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yet another reason why this isn't a feel good story. The Astros have proven themselves to be worse, but the Walgreens are no great shakes, either.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I haven't experienced one I thought was overly accommodating.
    I remember as a very young reporter being sent out to do a feature on players' Little League memories.
    Could not believe the shit I had to go through, and the assholes whose attitude problems I had to endure, to complete that assignment.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Maybe us not about that, but when you start with “this is fabricated” and a few days later fire the guy and eat a bunch of shit in an apology, you’re at least not doing something right.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Question… How many people think the PR staffs are at the mercy of their bosses?

Maybe not 100%, but it has to come into play somewhat.

Some organizations would handle shit like this on their own.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the stros are stuck in the 80s or 90s and completely underestimated the culture we live in. Giving a DV advocate shit over a signing was never OK, but it would have been allowed for a long time. No more.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's my Nats PR story and let me say upfront I don't think the people in the department were bad folks. I got along with all of them individually and one of them was a huge help with a non-work situation at one point. I think they're just following orders. But yeah, it could be a pain.

June game, looking for an early story, I'm talking to players about visiting the local military hospital earlier that day. Big easy fluff piece. One of the pitchers tells me about going last year and meeting a guy with no arms and no legs. They go this year and the guy walks up to him and shakes his hand. Boom - I've got my lead.

About 20 minutes later, I'm on the other side of the room talking to another player when the pitcher comes over with his phone. He had a shot of him shaking hands with the guy, did I want it? Oh hell yeah. Cool, he says, and starts preparing to text it to me. Out of nowhere, a PR guy materializes like they had an uncanny ability to do. No no no no, you can't do that. The pitcher starts to argue. It's HIS phone, he can do what he wants. They go back and forth and I say, "(PR guy, who I think is still there) is just following orders. This isn't on him. Text it to him and he'll text it to me." Which is done in about 10 seconds.

I finish and am heading out. The pitcher stops me and hands me a folded piece of paper. On it are the cell numbers of everybody on the team.

I have more but I have stuff to do today and this could take forever.

For the most part, the players were very good to deal with and as helpful as they could be under the circumstances. Not all of them but a large percentage.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And to be fair, as for the non-work situation: The Nats were in Atlanta and a TV cameraman collapsed right in front of their clubhouse door. Nats medical personnel rushed to help but the man died later that day at the hospital.

Turns out he was the father-in-law of an old family friend, who reached out to me the next day. She said her husband had heard the Nationals did everything they could and he wanted to speak to someone to offer thanks. Could I help? I reached out to the PR chief (no longer there), who bent over backward to get me every bit of information he could and gave me the cell number of the trainer. I got the info to our old friend and her husband was able to connect with the trainer. The trainer later told me the call meant a lot to him. He'd lost his father in a similar way at a similar age.

So yeah, as people, they're fine. They're following orders.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

In my experiences, the St. Louis Cardinals have one of the worst PR departments in all of professional sports. The absolute least helpful people I've ever dealt with when it comes to pro sports.

On the other hand, the Texas Rangers were absolutely the best. Hands down, none better. They would bend over backward to help me get my story or job done. I'll never have a bad word to say about the people that work for the Rangers.

Draft saved Draft deleted