1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5169B815-3057-46FA-8E17-086DAE2A4501.jpeg

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If USC didn’t accept federal funds, they would not have been indicted on the bribery count. So blame the school...

Are they being made an example of? Yep. Will it stop other parents from doing this? Probably. Or maybe they’ll just be smarter and, I don’t know, donate money for a building. Seriously that’s a big part of this: these parents are fucking idiots. They got indicted for something so commonplace that everyone with half a brain knows how to circumvent it.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She went to jail for her kids, she will be a legend. Her kids will drive a new luxury car to their beach house in Malibu and eat at the French Laundry twice a week for the rest of their lives. They will get a college degree if they want to and they’ll be well taken of in the job market. Bill and Felicity will never want for work either.

Aunt Becky’s kids are chillin on yachts in Cannes and Capri. They be just another couple of coke whore eurotrash while mom is doing the prison laundry.

4. CD Boogie

Thats fine

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but the video(s) of Laughlin's kid Olive (is that right?) basically bragging that she didn't care about or concentrate on school because she was busy building her online influencer status made the whole family unsympathetic. I saw that video and thought, "Spoiled little rich bitch. Fuck her."

I doubt I'm alone.

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not that they can really do it now, but . . . not a thimbleful of contrition from anyone in that family.

All that's missing is a book from the couple entitled "If We Did It."

heyabbott likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. CD Boogie

Two months for her, five months for him. Pretty standard stuff. Next time, just donate a building.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Unusual plea deal likely forged from SCOTUS Bridgegate opinion and Covid early releases. Standard only in lesser punishment for criming while white.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I never expected her to get leaned on heavily, even after she didn't have the sense to take a good plea deal. As long as there are lots of pictures of her in an orange jumpsuit and no makeup for her to live with from then on, I'm ok with it. They got dragged pretty well, and the point was made.

Next time, the rich will find a more acceptable and deniable way to grease their kids into school.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She does need to get beat up at least once, though. Just for being so damn defiant through the whole thing.

Stuck meaning you can't change to a guilty plea? Or stuck meaning you have to offer a more strict sentence the judge might approve of?

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I honestly have never gotten the outrage over this deal.
    A rich person did something shady to get their kid a benefit they really didn't deserve.
    The horror. The horror. It's the first time in human history something like this has ever happened.
    Of all the things we've got going on in the world right now, we are going to spend time and resources on something like this.

Well, I've been taught a lesson. I promise never to shell out six figures to get my kid into school. Oh wait, I don't have that kind of disposable income or kids.
    Kick them out of school (which has been handled). Fire the people involved (which probably has been handled). And move along.

Draft saved Draft deleted