1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston PR vs. the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

To say they're incredibly tone-deaf with everything they've done on this is to insult tone-deaf people everywhere. They've made a comprehensive display that they don't really feel this was that big a deal and threw Taubman over the side because it was expedient. Which means they'll keep doing this kind of stupid shit.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My first-grader has a better sense of self-awareness than these executives.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Astro PR Department’s handling of this reminds me of my favorite line from The West Wing.

“HE HAS THE PR INSTINCTS OF IDI AMIN!!!!”

Based on the ham-handed way this was handled, I’m going to guess that the Astros subscribe to the “Young and Cheap” hiring policy that has become all too prevalent in pro sports PR departments.

Hoping there’s someone on here who covers MLB who can confirm or refute that because, from afar, this looks like a situation where an inexperienced PR guy got steamrolled by ownership and the GM because he/she was too intimidated or inexperienced to do more than nod and say, “yes sir.”

Taubman loses his job in any scenario but a PR guy with half a brain could have kept the Astros from looking like fucking idiots.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Armchair,

I’m not convinced Taubman loses his job in any scenario. If he makes a proper apology right away, he gets some kind of reprimand, but not a firing. They’ve actually made it worse for him to get back in.

Luhnow comes across like a total dick. What the owner probably worries about the most is the Astros brand is damaged.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Can the Astros please hire a professional to handle this?

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Luhnow cut his teeth in the Cardinal organization in the LaRussa era, so he knows a thing or two about smug sanctimony/rote hypocrisy.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hans, boobie. I'm your white knight.

9. drexler

drexler New Member

Sadly, it's not a young group. The PR staff for that organization has been in place for several years and the senior members have been there at least a decade.

It's considered one of the worst staffs around the majors. That's why, in some regards, none of this is shocking. It's definitely been one of the least media-friendly groups, eager to stonewall anything and be vindictive and judgmental in doing so.

MeanGreenATO likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Winner.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This feels like something from the '70s but it's 2019.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Just of curiosity, how does the Nationals' PR staff rank? I had a ... interesting experience with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted