1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Then outlaw plea deals. If the Sixth Amendment is so important, you shouldn't feel as though you were rolling the dice by simply exercising it.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

So the constitution and any belief in curbing the power of the government over its citizens applies only to the people we like?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Out of all the injustices that happen on a daily basis, I'm picking my battles. I'm not spending a calorie worrying about the injustices to Aunt Becky.

One of her faildaughters should have taken a class in risk management, and helped out Mommy.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

You are not just picking your battles, you are dismissing any criticism of the prosecution only because Laughlin is rich. Worse, you also are saying certain protections you believe in should not be extended to her because she deserves it.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. ...Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.

It's why the "What about poor people who get railroaded?" non sequiturs a few pages back didn't make a case for why the criminal justice system should be used abusively in an any-means-necessary way in this case. It was the argument for why it shouldn't be used that way.

6. poindexter

She should have taken the two weeks.
    Hey, she may roll a hard eight and still come out of this unscathed. I don't like her chances.

7. BTExpress

She would have gotten more than that (but who knows how much more?). Huffman paid only $15K, Loughlin $500K. Apparently the amount paid counts for a lot.

8. poindexter

Well then, Aunt Becky is up shit creek.

Oh, and fuck her.

9. BTExpress

I showed an interest in the case from its early stages and now receive daily "Lori Loughlin freaking out!" and "Lori Loughlin scared to death!" updates on my phone.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing that just because poor people get railroaded (all the time), the rich should get the same treatment. My point is that is so typical that when the well to do are caught up in some injustice, tremendous amounts of emotion and energy are raised when its fair to ask "where's that energy and emotion when the less fortunate feel the same (if not greater) injustice.

You want to look at this in a vacuum, okay, its an isolated case of potential overcharging (I beg to differ but I'll accept it for this argument.) But there are much greater injustices going on that are simply ignored. Traffic violations and loitering citations, does the DA charge them? No, but its all part of the same prosecution wing of the government.

Let's go to the larger issues then, if a minority committed the crime that the Stanford swimmer did, would there have been the same sentence handed down? Or are there thousands (if not tens of thousands) of minorities who are serving tens of years behind bars?

Or more specifically, a well-heeled college student on a lark steals a car. What does the prosecutor charge then? Then a down and out meth head steals the same car, whtat is he/she charged with?

There is rampant discrimination against the less fortunate in our criminal justice system. If you want to make your stand on this case, go ahead.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is a thread about the college scandal and the people involved. I am commenting on them on a thread about them. ... as incredible as that seems to you. I apologize for not doing the freshman year, "I just discovered the world is unfair to a lot of people" post over and over again and making mealy race and socioeconomic generalizations about ANYONE else (preferably), because the people in this case are unlikable.

I don't know how many threads there have been on here where I thought people's civil liberties were being compromised or that our justice system was unfair to someone, and I posted what I thought. You brought up the Stanford swimmer case. My posts on that thread pointed out the unequal nature of our justice system. The thread about the guy in Staten Island the cop choked to death, the Ferguson, MO thread, threads where stop and frisk came up, etc. I am never shy about this. We have prisons filled with black men who took plea deals because they were staring at half-asleep public defenders and prosecutors threatening charges that carried decades in prison if they didn't. I don't need your generalizations about how poor people often get railroaded to awaken me.

I take my "stands" there, too.

The difference is that I try to "take stands" consistently, rather than picking and choosing the way you have on this thread based on your notions of social justice and who is deserving of fairness. ... and who it doesn't matter quite as much for. I don't see it as taking a stand. I see it as a threat to all of us when a prosecutor is given the lattitude to operate the way these prosecutors are.

You may as well not take a stand.

Rich? Meh, who cares? "Well heeled" (your term)? What about a poor guy who got a jaywalking ticket (non sequitur)? Unsympthetic, because you're accused of trying to cut a corner to get your kid into a college? Fuck them (not you, but others on here).

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Huffman released after 11 days per CNN.

Draft saved Draft deleted