1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They shouldn't have fucked with institutions involved with federal programs over $5,000. Thems the rules, bub.

Just like feds have been able to use mail fraud or wire fraud as their bread and butter for decades. Bernie Madoff was convicted of mail fraud. When you think Bernie Madoff, does mail come to your mind? Use what you have at your disposal.

Oh, and fuck Lori Laughlin.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Come on, man. You are being ridiculous. At least admit that it is an ends justify any means thing for you and you don't give a fuck how they get whatever it is you think they deserve.

ANYONE who has ever made a donation over that amount to a college or an athletic program could be prosecuted that way on a bribery charge. It's ridiculous overreach.

I just hit google news to see if anyone is saying anything remotely what I am. ... I can't lift the video out of the link, but here is Dan Abrams on ABC yesterday saying pretty much the same thing I have been posting. He's right, obviously.

Dan Abrams: Prosecutors Are Overreaching with New Charges Against Lori Loughlin

3. poindexter

So I will ask for the third time.
    Do you think that the two week jail time that Felicity Huffman received is just?

4. The Big Ragu

I guess two weeks in a Federal prison sounds about right for a plea on a mail fraud charge. It certainly could have been worse for her, so I think she made the smart choice. As we have subsequently found, this prosecutor is on the war path, and who knows how a trial would have ended, so I think she took the best outcome she was going to get.

As for what is just, no, I don't think misuse of the criminal justice system leads to justice. I think it actually opens the door for future injustices, some of which you might not feel so good about. What she did was civilly and morally wrong, not criminally wrong.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I cannot find the clip online, but on WGBH radio, a Boston NPR station, Judge Nancy Gertner (ret.) was quoted as being critical of the new charges. Along the lines of "the defendants are being punished for having the temerity to assert their constitutional right to a trial." She is a former defense attorney, for full disclosure.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Rename the Ridiculous Crotchfruit Thing 1 and Thing 2.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That'll work.

But make it Thong 1 and Thong 2.

HanSenSE, OscarMadison and swingline like this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Federal Prosecutors Are Punishing Actor Lori Loughlin for Exercising Her Right To Defend Herself

9. poindexter

She's guiltier than sin. Why do I give a flying fuck if she continues to dig in her heels? Exercising her right to defend herself? Go fuck yourself.

Lori is George Costanza in the episode The Wizard. George didn't want to go to a Susan Ross charity event, so he told Susan's parents that he couldn't make it because he was signing papers for a place in the Hamptons. He kept upping the lie, and the Rosses kept calling him on it. Aunt Becky is now at the point where she is inviting the Rosses, getting in the car, and making the two hour drive to the Hamptons. Her next move is to talk about the two horses, Prickly Pete and Snoopy.

Aunt Becky is saying, "You want to get nuts? Let's get nuts!" And the DA keeps calling her on it.

Dumbass family should have taken the plea bargain.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

Why would anyone give a flying fuck about the sixth amendment? It's just a technicality meant to keep the *obviously* guilty people from facing the retribution *everyone* knows they deserve.

12. poindexter

Yeah, of all the injustices that happen daily in this country, I'm gonna worry about Aunt Becky.

I will just have to take that chance that if I bribe a university to accept my kid as a pole vaulter for a cool half mil, the target may be on me.

Draft saved Draft deleted