1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's a different criminal charge, but mostly for the same acts. It is a way to double up the punishment when the government otherwise couldn't.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

One doesn't justify the other. It's a government straining itself and the law to punish people.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do you think the Felicity Huffman/plea bargain sentences were unjust?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) That is a non sequitur that has nothing to do with my post that you quoted.
    2) Even so, there is a difference between a cop and a prosecutor.
    3) Where there actually are laws against jaywalking and driving with a broken tail light, you are either doing it or you aren't. They aren't arresting people for mail fraud because the person jaywalked and there aren't actual laws against it.
    4) If the point is that poor people often get shit on by cops, yes they do. The better example might have been the cop that breaks someone's taillight and then writes them a ticket. That said, manufacturing a crime where there actually was more of a civil fraud, in order to go after some privileged, rich people, because public opinion is "fuck em," does absolutely zero to address the fact that poor people often get shit on by cops. They are two distinct things.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Everything you wrote above is correct, Ragu, except for that this is not a victimless crime. It's not just the schools who were defrauded, but the other applicants to the schools in question. Actually, come to think of it, if every applicant turned down by USC, Yale, etc, sued these parents, said parents would be begging for federal prison time as an alternative, so maybe you're right.

6. The Big Ragu

I agree. If the universities, or any applicant who was rejected, feels they were harmed, and they want to go after anyone involved with this and try to hit them in their bank account, that is how a civil fraud should be dealt with. Of course, it's not as sexy, and it isn't raw meat to the people carrying pitchforks, and an overreaching prosecutor doesn't care much when they are determined to put the screws to someone in their crosshairs. But state AGs have civil law divisions, if a grandstanding DA wanted to make that his or her reelection cause. The DOJ has a civil litigation branch, if they wanted to take it up.

7. poindexter

You come up with fantastic, real world ideas. Kudos. The students selling roasted corn and mayo for 3 dollars a cup - some of the people competing for admission slots with the Aunt Becky faildaughters - should drop what they are doing, and hire a civil attorney to sue.

Just miles from USC and the admissions scandal, these students sell food for college money
    She and some of her East Los Angeles College classmates were selling sliced corn with mayonnaise, butter and cheese at $3 a cup to raise money for their club, Puente, a program that helps students transfer to four-year universities.
    Puentistas hustle year-round to sell tamales, bacon-wrapped hot dogs and coffee with pan dulce to pay for trips to visit colleges across California, mentorship and group activities, and graduation caps and gowns...News this week of the college admissions scandal, in which wealthy parents allegedly cheated and paid to get their children into elite schools, triggered a mix of emotions at this Monterey Park community college, where most students are the children of low-income Latino parents: janitors, gardeners, seamstresses and factory workers. Their daily reality is far removed from the world of Hollywood stars, elite college coaches and Napa winery owners at the center of the scheme.

I swear to god, some of you are so far disconnected with reality, its laughable.

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, I think there would be plenty of enterprising attorneys willing to take cases like these on a fee-only-if-I win basis.

9. poindexter

Yes, I am sure that's what the new-to-this-country, tamale fundraisers want to get involved with. Suing Aunt Becky with scum-sucking lawyers.

GREAT use of their time.

10. The Big Ragu

Reread your last few posts after you quoted me and then started putting words in my mouth. ... ending with you concluding that I am so far disconnected from reality based on YOUR concoctions.

Look. ...

The world is an unfair place. Wealthy people are able to buy things that poor people can't. They can cut lines by writing checks. They have access to advantages that others can't afford.

That isn't new. Although, if anything, things are probably more egalitarian in regard to things like college admission than they ever have been, even if there are people who can and will still game things to their advantage.

As unfair as you may find it, it's still not criminal, except in the hands of a prosecutor who can make anyone they want to target into a criminal.

I didn't say that a student selling roasted corn and mayo for 3 dollars a cup will be able to hire a lawyer, any more than I think that Felicity Huffman going to prison for 2 weeks on a mail fraud charge is going to do anything for that kid selling roasted corn and mayo.

The difference is that you are clutching a pitchfork, and telling me how realistic you are and how out of touch I am, when you are really just another resentful person who has decided "fuck them," and doesn't care how our system of justice gets distorted in order to get em.

11. poindexter

So is it criminal, or isn't it?

If it isn't criminal, the appeal should be a slam dunk, correct?

12. poindexter

For the people competing for spots at these colleges, not even remotely realistic.

Wildly unrealistic.

Draft saved Draft deleted