1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screamin' A. Smith out at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by broadway joe, Apr 16, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He works hard, I'll give him that. ESPN needs him in Vegas, for a fight? He's there. LA for a Laker game? He's there.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

True. Whether there were other interests sniffing around or not - people know who Smith is, replacing him would probably require a host, an opinion person and a reporter and time to build up all of their profiles.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You're a lot less likely to get that out of someone new, just by virtue of them being new, and wanting to negotiate, on the front end, what they will and won't do.

Younger talent tends to be more that way, too. I'm not knocking it. They desire more balance.

SAS is not balanced. He's all-the-way on his job.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wow. They are my top two "change the station" people. This is great news, because I never watch but hear ESPN radio all the time.

5. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Good for him for being all-in. His life revolves around his job. I couldn’t do that, even for the $5-6 million/year he makes.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'll push back with this.

MOTIVATED talent is all-the-way in on the job. I've seen it for years. Age doesn't matter. Ambition is.

Years ago, if I would have lost 20 pounds and whitened my teeth every day, I'd probably be in a larger market, making twice what I'm making now. Seriously. That's probably the difference.

Damn, I should have put the Pop Tarts down.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how much credit I can give him for that. He makes a fortune and is the face of the network, so of course they'll jet him all over God's creation. And he's not squeezing in a middle seat in row 36.

Draft saved Draft deleted