1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston PR vs. the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 12, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Who gives a fuck?

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

In 2019, how does any PR person write or allow a statement to say, "I'm sorry if anyone was offended ..."? There is no "if". Say you fucked up. Apologize. Period.

Jesus, its easier making little kids apologize to each other: What did you do wrong? Say you're sorry. Say it like you mean it.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

No shit. Bring all that up every single day for the rest of his life. He earned that.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

If I were a PR staffer for the Astros I would update my LinkedIn. Can’t see how anyone survives this. What an utter disaster

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I don't expect anyone to pursue this avenue, but I believe the Astros would lose a libel case over the use of the word "fabricate" in their original statement. The accusation is obviously professionally damaging, and knowingly publishing false information or showing reckless disregard for the truth is the libel standard. They clearly met it.

Their only real defense would be the follow-up apology, but even that didn't directly address "fabricate."

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Getting their ass kicked tonight. Oh these crocodile tears of mine.....

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

See ya.

The Astros are pretty sorry. But not too sorry.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Still a shitty PR release.

Thanks for getting on this in the last 48 hours. Never say “two days” when the shit storm has been longer.

Tweener likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In my heart of hearts, I don't think the Astros believe this is a big deal, but they have forced by the media - and, more to the point, by Major League Baseball - to believe it is a big deal, and thus Taubman is out several days after he should have been.

The original denial was right out of "oh, fuck this." You don't get to that statement without thinking "oh, fuck this."

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Dog8Cats and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  12. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Still interested to see what happens in their PR office. Had this been handled semi-competently, Astros might have been spared 90 percent of the flak they've received and Taubman might have actually kept his job.

Draft saved Draft deleted