1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston PR vs. the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 12, 2019.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Not sure what I am more flummoxed by:

A. That the Astros made an excuse that they’re probably tipsy executive was only barging in on an interview and babbling, or

B. That a successful person who is probably good at professional job thought it was a great idea to go after someone who is anti-domestic violence views he did not appreciate in front of a cluster of other people including several women. At least pull someone aside and be gratuitously unpleasant one on one.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’m not in media, but this story is freaking disgusting. You make the World Series and the first thought of the “spousal abusers are an undervalued asset” executive is to rip into the reporter who dares point out the player’s behavior. Of course, followed by a lie and a non-apology apology.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

This is so repulsive. Honestly if the Astros aren’t going to apologize for this behavior MLB should step in and make them forfeit World Series games until they do

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm not normally one to join the "fire him" mob on these things, but holy fuck, how incompetent is the Houston PR staff? Jesus Christ. They should be fired for being horrible at their jobs, let alone the rest of it. Now I have to root for the Nationals? THEY STOLE THE EXPOS. Fuck me.

sgreenwell and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do find it hilarious when team PR folks think they can bigfoot and intimidate national press like they do local press and get away with it. Rule one in PR - don't become part of the story.

exmediahack likes this.
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I've dealt with them, but I've seen a lot of statements from baseball folks that the Astros have long been the least helpful team in the league from a PR standpoint. Which is too bad, because they're a great story in a lot of ways.

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

At this point, the Astros PR head needs to go, too.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure Osuna is LOVING this stuff being brought up again.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sure seems like they have a bad culture in that office. I hate when people overreact to one incident that could have had a bunch of variables and back stories involved, like the Verlander thing. Even this on its own might be explained as one asshole spouting off when he'd have been better off keeping his mouth shut. But this is starting to look like a pattern of animosity.
    So what's the deal with the Astros' organization-wide beef with the media?

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They're awful. We tried to set up a Q&A with Verlander in spring training over the phone since he plays golf and is a member at one of our clubs, like a quick 10-12 minute interview, and they flat out refused. Told us we needed to come down to Florida if we wanted to do the interview. I found that to be a bit ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted