1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screamin' A. Smith out at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by broadway joe, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Today we call it Archeology.

Or maybe the Curse Of Oak Island.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

It's time to give the guy credit....he's made himself into a huge part of what they do. The stuff he puts out there now....it makes me laugh. A lot of it is crazy, totally out there (like the Instagram video of him walking to Staples Centre last year when Magic quit -- saying he was going to find out what was going on). But people love it. And if they hate it, they can't take themselves away from it.

The more I think about it, the more I believe we who work in the business forget what sports are supposed to be about. (I include myself in that.) Our jobs have become more of a grind, but what we ignore is that most of our readers/audience have had an equally tough day/week at work and want to watch the games. Smith is simply trying to entertain. More and more, I'm convinced that's what people want.

He works hard, appears on a ton of shows, is apparently good to fans. It's not for everyone, but I get it. Good on him.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’ll take Czabe any day over this.

playthrough and Batman like this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I know I'm not the demographic, but he's unwatchable. His show was on in the tire shop when I was having some work done a couple of weeks ago and he and Kellerman were screaming at each other about whether Mahomes or Watson was the NFL MVP. No one is that passionate on the topic, especially after Week 5. It all seemed so contrived.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed. Happens all the time. Turning sports into a wing of identity politics has made the sports media more miserable. The athletes too.

But, beyond that, the money in the sports creates this high level intensity at all times. Athletes and coaches walk around smug and grim all the time - you’d think the money would lighten them up, but it doesn’t, it makes them sour and burdened - the media is usually looking to poke a stick or fire someone.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. He used to annoy me. I now find him entertaining as hell. (The show with Kellerman is borderline unwatchable, though.)

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Here’s the thing — he’s a smart guy who can have really well thought out and nuanced opinions. But he’s content to play a fictional role for the money and that deserves at least a little scorn.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but the difference is - at least the times I've seen him the last few years and not since Skip skipped out for Fox's money - Stephen A. knows he's playing a role, and has a better sense than a POS like Skip does when to dump it and be himself. Skip would make Vince McMahon proud for his ability to never break character ... unless he really doesn't realize how foolish he comes across and is always this way.

But "Embrace debate" and "contrarian for contrarian's sake" sucks. Always did, always will. They can claim it makes money, but that doesn't validate the format IMO.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Can't watch the guy. If he's on, I'll turn it off. Then again, just about anything on ESPN that's not a game, I turn off.

Talking Heads have nothing to say that's worth my time. Who cares what his opinion is? Certainly not I.

gravehunter likes this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

SAS is a great listen for 20-30 minutes if you're driving across the country. Fantastic. I couldn't take three hours of it.

I'm generally a Cowherd guy, especially during the NFL season. He's my demo.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Smith's contract is rooted in a number of things, including his excellent NBA contacts and the fact that he's a known quantity. ESPN knows all his strengths and weaknesses, he's probably a decent teammate, and, if you've already moved the furniture around to accommodate his personality, why move it around again for someone else you don't know? It's not unlike Chris Berman, who I can't stand.

I heard it once about a columnist. "Yeah, he's a pain in the ass, he's got issues, but they all do, and at least we know his."

Draft saved Draft deleted