1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fresno, Modesto Bees to cease Saturday print editions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Oct 19, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I get the feeling this will happen at many, many places in the next 1-2 years. I fully expect my shop to move to 5 days a week by the end of 2021 even though we're a daily publication right now.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Remember "hyper-local"? Publishing the stuff nobody could get anywhere else? To me - that's preps coverage. Of course, the current generation of kids probably have parents that didn't grow up with newspapers at the kitchen table either.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

You can be hyper-local and cover stuff no one else does without having a Saturday print edition.

2muchcoffeeman and FileNotFound like this.
  5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

He's right though. No medium sized papers or larger or anybody that's had significant cuts in staff are covering high schools. Obvious exceptions are newspapers without pro teams nearby, etc. Those newspaper fishwraps actually will probably last longer than the papers that abandoned preps completely. The suits have no clue. At least praise Fredrick for pointing that out.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I know that Fresno and Modesto are printed in Sacramento. I would guess, Wichita, which went to six says a week, is published in Kansas City. It appears that Gannett is going to six days a week where they do not locally print.

I wonder if Fort Worth and Miami would go to six days a week given the presence of metropolitan editors competitors that print seven days a week.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The State in Columbia is dropping its Saturday print edition effective Jan. 25.

8. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

What I've noticed is more local television news covering HS football at 6 and 10 on Fridays, at least (or perhaps especially) in the South. If I'm 15 and playing ball, I'd rather see my team on television Friday than in the paper the next day.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The local NBC/ABC affiliate here has "High School Playbook Blitz" on Friday nights as part of the 11 p.m. newscast. Regular news segment to open the show, weather moved to second segment and the rest of the show is highlights of just about every team in their broadcast region. Imagine it's the same in a lot of markets.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

As does FOX40 with "Final Quarter."

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Local Fox affiliate does this here in Boston, where interest in high school football is, to be kind, patchy. There are big Catholic powerhouses, and Everett could be in Alabama for how the town (city here) is behind it, but otherwise, nobody cares except players, students and parents. Which is as it should be.

12. Situation

Situation Member

Draft saved Draft deleted