1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Newspeople Who Are Really Bad at Their Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Baum retired? Terrific guy, and one of those people who had a specialty (track) that a lot of us just had to dabble in at Olympics time, but was willing to be helpful to us drop-ins rather than looking down on us. I owed him (and Gene Cherry) a whole lot during the run-up to a couple of Olympics.

And yeah, Beacham is in L.A. and is outstanding, both as a writer and a person.

Liut likes this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I guess I first started paying particular attention to Eddie Pells due to his outstanding work at the 2008 Summer Olympics, especially his coverage of Usain Bolt.

Have always enjoyed the work of Dahlberg and Litke.

However, Dalhberg's name always gives me Watergate flashbacks.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wish I could like this more than once.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Let me add Larry Lage of Detroit, who also covers the NHL in addition to Tigers, Lions, Wings, Pistons, UM, MSU and Michigan high schools
    In an earlier life, Larry WAS Sparty as an MSU undergrad
    Great guy and reporter

Liut likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The most impactful sideline interview in the last decade was Erin Andrews interviewing Richard Sherman. Sherman's tone and demeanor were surprising and shocking, and Andrews handled it well. Very well.
    Erin Andrews is good at her job.

Liut likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Gregg Doyel. Total asshole. Wrote nothing but hate for years. Fuck that guy.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Andrews "interviewing" Sherman? She had no idea why he was upset. This is one of the most unprepared interviews in the last decade. She didn't handle it well because she was wholly unprepared. It's like she did zero prep before the game and then didn't even bother watching the game. Erin Andrews is terrible at her job, which is sad because pre-DWTS, she was actually very good. But now, doing non-sports things like Dancing With The Stars, she has become lazy as a sports "reporter." She's a celebrity, no longer a journalist.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It's her job to be hot. And she's damn good at it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is it too late to add Matt Lauer. At some point someone decided that morning show hosts were also serious news people (regardless of their lack of qualifications). I honestly couldn't tell you who is the best journalist of any of the morning show host. Stephanopoulus transitioned from political hack, Gayle King parlayed anchoring local news and being a friend of Oprah to CBS's morning show and Hoda Kotb went from local news anchor to Today. Guthrie at least spent some time as a WH Correspondent, though shes' only been in the biz for 10 years. John Berman at CNN might have the most chops of them all with time at the WH and embedded during the Iraq War.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I won't bother with the rest of this... but I will say the bolded line will be a surprise to my friends who worked alongside her more than 20 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted