1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That Usyk / Bivol card was about what I expected.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

RIP.

I haven't seen such a devastating blow in quite a while. Day was ducking away and leaned right into a clean haymaker.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Lou DiBella: "It becomes very difficult to explain away or justify the dangers of boxing at a time like this. This is not a time where edicts or pronouncements are appropriate, or the answers are readily available. It is, however, a time for a call to action. While we don't have the answers, we certainly know many of the questions, have the means to answer them, and have the opportunity to respond responsibly and accordingly and make boxing safer for all who participate."

So how do you do that? Bigger gloves, headgear, more of an emphasis on scoring points vs. knockouts? You know, amateur rules. Maybe even a one-knockdown rule (not counting slips). Even that wouldn't be "safe" over 10 rounds, but it would help.

It's tough to make a sport safer when the objective is to strike your opponent with enough force that his brain smashes against his skull and causes him to lose consciousness.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And people still like to watch that, which is why headgear is a longshot. Even though that would go a very long way toward keeping fighters alive.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A lot of people in my Facebook feed are saying the Canelo fight was fixed. The punches looked like they landed to me. Canelo was the betting favorite. I can't think of a plausible reason for fixing it. Unless they fix fights just for the sake of fixing fights.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I didn't see the fight but I find it hard to believe somebody came up with more money than the $3 million-plus that Kovalaev would receive to get him to take a dive.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I agree with Larry Merchant for a change.

Canelo knocked out an old, tired fighter. Both camps based their game plans around Kovalev running out of gas late.

Draft saved Draft deleted