1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today's lifespan?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 16, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've always been a fan of McPaper but today I've picked up my first one in months (I know it's automatically assumed, but, yes, I'm staying at a Marriott...) and the 24-page paper has a grand total of 2 paid ads, each about 1/8th of a page. One for Stihl saws, one for Caravan Cruises.

How on Earth can this continue?

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Marriott or USA Today?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Prefacing this by saying I have no clue what USA Today brings to Gannett financially, if anything. So I am more spitballing than anything.

But I know that they use the USA Today name to market other things, for example I am pretty sure they syndicate broadcast coverage to television stations under the USA Today name. If they have a lot of ancillary things that piggyback off the name and that actually earn money, it could make sense to eat a loss on the print newspaper in order to keep the name itself relevant enough to support the things that do make money.

4. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

maumann and TigerVols like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Al Neuharth is rolling in his one-jump, instagraph coffin. First Pumpkin Center. Now this.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if most travellers ignore it or what - but I''m surprised USA Today can't sell ads for that paper. Sure the business traveller has a phone and perhaps a pad - but when you're in the can? On a shuttle to the airport? Waiting for a plane? The business traveller often travels solo - figure a print paper would give him or her something to avoid making eye contact with others if nothing else.

BartonK likes this.
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I travel four or five times a year (I know not a ton) and I can't honestly remember the last time I saw them visibly available anywhere. They don't deliver them to rooms any more. They put them on tables in some far flung corner of the lobby, if that. I went on a trip about three weeks ago and on the way back a guy in front of me was actually reading a newspaper. I was sort of floored because I can't remember the last time I saw that either. It wasn't a USA Today.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's still the phone in all those instances, and even when they can't get a signal people would rather keep trying their phone than pick up a paper. All that said, I'm also surprised they can't sell more ads.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Reading a newspaper in public almost comes with a stigma today, as if one is a technologically adverse luddite or some alien time traveler from 60 years ago.

I still enjoy taking the paper on a plane trip or picking one up at a hotel, but I'm sure they're are people who are thinking 'what's up old geezer, you gonna check your aol email on your flip phone next'? (The answer to those last two are no and no. Really.)

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering the new CEO has no print experience - probably bad news all the way down the line. But what is the point anyway? Gannett isn't going to be a stand-alone company anyway - why is Gannett even hiring a CEO/President?

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I think people would rather use their phones because USAT always had a problem with deadlines
    If an early edition with no late scores is all that’s available people would rather use their phones

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted