1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Lauer has his transaction cancelled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Oct 9, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How NBC's news leadership has remained in place is a mystery after the fallout from the Lauer stuff. I'm guessing good ratings trumps all. Would have thought at least Lack would "retire' quietly since the thing went down.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Wrong. You are prejudiced too. And so is white guilt man @PCLoadLetter. I’m just being honest about it

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So you're good with the part about you being ignorant regarding what constitutes rape and saying that women don't deserve protection from rape if they drink and go back to a man's room? You don't have any problem with that?

If by prejudiced you mean that I have a bias toward fairness and law and you don't, so be it.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What's so hard about admitting that a woman got drunk, agreed to to his room and then changed her mind -- justifiably -- because of something offensive that he said or did?
    Happens all the time. And it all adds up to rape. If she expressed her change of mind and did not want to have sex with him, he's guilty. Everybody has the right to change his or her mind.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The balance of probabilities tells me she’s telling the truth. This is not a court of law.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep, that’s why you have a safeword.

And without a safeword predetermined, NO suffices.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Their safeword should have been "Michael Strahan". Lauer would have shrunk like Rick Moranis's kids.

Sea Bass likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

No numb nuts, don’t put words in my mouth. You’ve once again proven that you miss the point of everything. If she had claimed rape right after it happened, the situation would be much less in question. By carrying on a sexual relationship with him afterwards — one she herself calls transactional — it casts doubt on the initial claim of rape. How is that so hard to understand?

Her actions undermine the cases of other women who are raped and report it immediately.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, I've proven that you are prejudiced in a way that nobody should want you on a jury in a case like this one. Everything in my post came from things you posted on this thread.

10. CD Boogie

Wrong.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You really don't see why she was probably having sex once they got back from Sochi? You don't see the imbalance of power here and the possibility that he could ruin her career if she said no?

I take it none of y'all have ever had older white men treat you with disrespect, touch you when you have asked to not be touched, and then told you to keep sweet if you got a teeny bit angry about it. All damned week. All. Damned. Week. I don't know why this week was particularly bad, but it was. And you know something? I would not shed one tear if Lauer fell into a zoo cage and was squat-f***ked by a deranged silverback mountain gorilla while his children looked on. Women -other than me because I am socially maladaptive with a vocabulary too damned big for my own good- need to speak up. Has it been three years? Oh my gosh! It's been three years and he is still a dirtbag.

The only time we're listened to years after the fact is if we're exonerating someone. Remember Andrea Yates, the nutball in Houston who drowned her five children? Her husband, Scottie, is from Hermitage, Tennessee. When it came out he was a homeboy, of-effing-course the local paper was all over this. They interviewed women who knew him in high school. They talked about what a catch he was then, and when he got free of Andrea, they would be waiting. (Insert white trash purring here.) When opeople who also went to school with him in Hermitage came forward and said Scottie was also kind of a jerk about women and anyone who didn't subscribe to his ideas about Jesus, that was dismissed as "bein' a lawng tahm ago."

Funny how flexible that temporal remove got when people started calling out NASA Opie.

I'm done. I need a nap.

12. CD Boogie

Why's it gotta be white men? Black men are never in a position of power? They've never engaged in behavior like this?

I can absolutely see where the power dynamic is a mess. But did Lauer have a track record of ruining people's careers? Did he threaten her with such? Was he the initiator of the relationship? No doubt he's a dirtbag.

Draft saved Draft deleted