1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woke NBA groveling for China

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Oct 7, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When you pay for access its not journalism.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Here's the thing.

I'm happy to see conservatives suddenly energized into opposing China's ruthless authoritarianism. Welcome.

But American consumers have been underwriting this ruthlessness for decades. Every time we shop at Walmart, for example, or buy another iPhone.

That it took the perceived insincerity of a professional sports league to get you here is itself sort of perfectly American.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

KFC doesn't pontificate about social issues. They sling their fried chicken and mashed potatoes globally, dance for the Man in China, and everyone understands their role.
    NBA hasn't done that. There are coaches and players who pontificate in the bowels of arenas, and in televised barber shops (saying stuff I mostly agree with, btw) and throw their political weight around with a moved All Star game and whatnot.
    When faced with a real economic decision, they have shut their mouths. That's fine. But they've lost the moral high ground they used to think they occupied. I never expected it from KFC.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. poindexter

Not sure why you are continuing this 'whataboutism'.
    We have all had the perception that Nike has kids making sneakers. That chinese workers commit suicide at an alarming rate in Apple manufacturing warehouses.
    But Nike and Apple are still corporations (at least in my eyes).

Steve Kerr and LeBron are people. Pontificating people. Seeing Kerr humina-humina this week was embarrassing. I've never seen a sound bite ever from him where he said he refused to give an opinion because he had to do so much more research.
    When LeBron talks about China at length in the barbershop, I'll take back this post.

cyclingwriter2 and Stoney like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's where we differ.

I don't think Kerr or LeBron are the real problem.

I think China is the real problem.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Next you're going to tell me ESPN doesn't stand for "East coast Sports Programming Network"

10. poindexter

Nobody in China is peddled as heroes. These NBA guys are.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Better to ask forgiveness than permission

heyabbott likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Would the NFL have treated Kaepernick any differently if he refused to travel/play in a game in China out of support for the Hong Kong protest and the NFL faced the same repercussions as the NBA is?

Draft saved Draft deleted