1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Lauer has his transaction cancelled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Oct 9, 2019.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’m surprised Lauer’s wife didn’t make his manhood cancelled, Bobbitt style.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’ve been surprised there weren’t a lot of copycat cases after that story broke years ago.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don’t even know what to make out of a comment like this. I am aiming toward nuance, toward actually discussing this story and it’s perception. But as soon as I said, Man, this sounds kinda off to me, I’m painted as some of kind of apologist for rapey, frat culture. If he committed rapse, I hope he goes to prison for years But the transactional agreement is really creepy and doesn’t reflect well on her either. That was my main point.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Will Lauer even get charged, given that this incident was in Russia?

If not and this was truly consensual, his worst charge is not having lube.

That would be consensual but not sensual. Shit got real that night.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Jesus, I never thought I’d see physics applied to anal sex.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If he was just saying he questions the truth of the story, that would be reasonable. It is still troubling to just assume the accuser is lying, but I get it.

Some other parts of this discussion are not as reasonable. That he was married is irrelevant to whether or not it was rape. That she drank and went back to his room also doesn't keep it from being rape. Even if the sex was consensual, if she said no to anal sex and he did it anyway, that makes it rape.

I absolutely get questioning why she would have sex with him after it happened, but even that doesn't mean the one incident couldn't be rape.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

9. CD Boogie

Ya want the guy who presumes guilt? How ironic coming from the board moralist

10. outofplace

I don't want the guy who assumes the accuser is lying and calls her a whore even though the accused is well known as a dirtbag.

11. CD Boogie

So we have established that we are both prejudiced.

12. outofplace

No, we have established that you are prejudiced. What I want most is the guy who will walk in there with an open, but educated mind. Lauer's credibility is questionable and it should be given his history. That is reasonable. Assuming a woman you know nothing about is a liar and a whore is not reasonable at all.

You brought up the fact that Lauer was married as part of the argument against her. It isn't. It is part of the argument against him. He is the one who broke a vow, not her.

You argued that she takes on some level of guilt because she drank and went to his room. Women don't deserve to be raped just because they drink. They don't deserve to be raped just because they go to a man's room.

You didn't seem to understand that even if they had consensual sex, it was rape if she said no to anal sex and he did it anyway.

Saying you find her suspicious is absolutely reasonable, but to say she is definitely lying and she's a whore based on what information we have now makes you very much the guy I would not want on that jury. You can't seem to see past the idea that you could be accused to understand it is also positive a woman you care about might someday be a victim.

Draft saved Draft deleted