1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Lauer has his transaction cancelled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Oct 9, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If that shit is in play in your industry, maybe choose a different industry? Or report people for acting like that? Ya know, have some backbone?

My fiance is an internal auditor for a hedge fund, one of four women at her firm, two of whom are admins. She doesn't tolerate people disrespecting her like that. She, for one, is among those who think Rose MacGowan and Asia Argento are basically failed opportunists.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You shouldn't have to.

And honestly, that kind of thing has been in play in virtually every industry where women work with men in positions of power.

It's easy (and cheap) to call a woman put in that kind of situation a prostitute because of the choices she makes.

Try walking a mile in her shoes first.

Or maybe just criticize her. How about, "She should have picked a different gender"?

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

Well, that's now an option. She can just declare herself a male and everyone has to acknowledge that she is. Problem solved.

OK, on that point I'm kidding.

Is it cheap and easy to call a 30-year-old a prostitute for engaging in what she herself described as a transactional relationship? I'd just call it accurate.

Are there instances in walks of life where men abuse their position? Absolutely.

This instance just isn't so cut and dried for me, that's all.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is very similar to the Jian Ghomeshi case up here. He was acquitted, mostly because his alleged victims maintained relationships with him, including sex. It's a very strange psychology, and it's almost impossible for people who haven't experienced it—especially men, who will probably never experience it—to understand. I don't claim to understand it myself.

Recently I was at an event, and I dropped something in the kitchen. A woman standing nearby apologized. I was like, What are you saying sorry for? I dropped it on my own. I should be saying sorry here. But women have dealt with some fucked-up shit for a long time, and it's conditioned them to be different than men. It's maybe why conversations about this stuff always seem to fall on deaf ears. Men will never understand the experience. We'd never apologize when someone else drops something.

5. CD Boogie

That is...weird. I've never seen a woman do that. Sounds like she has a form of PTSD. That's truly sad that someone would feel compelled to apologize for someone else's mistake.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I said something to her, and she apologized for apologizing. She wasn't even Canadian.

Huggy likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So here's the progress we've made in the #MeToo era...

Women in the double digits claimed they were sexually harassed and mistreated by Matt Lauer, who they say used his power over their career as leverage for sex. They came forward before he was publicly accused. He admits the stories are essentially true and says he's ashamed. NBC does a brief investigation and fires him.

A book lists some new details from one of the previously-reported cases and it prompts a "the bitch is lying" thread.

Yeah, it's a real mystery why women don't come forward more often.

OscarMadison, garrow and UNCGrad like this.
  8. CD Boogie

Some new details? He was accused of rape. That's a big departure from what we'd known earlier.

Yeah, I too wonder why we don't hear more about women in transactional relationships coming forward more often...

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

PTSD? You mean like a woman who is anally raped might experience?

10. PCLoadLetter

Right. So, again, this is a guy who admits that he got women to have sex with him because he could threaten their career if they refused. More than a dozen women accused him of that. NBC found it to be true.

One of those women says he went anal despite her protests, which doesn't exactly seem wildly out of character given what the guy admits to doing..

You called her a lying whore.

11. CD Boogie

No, I'm sure she is completely guiltless here....
    So you can assume she's totally on the level and that nothing is bizarre about what a 30-year-old woman participated in, but I can't look at the details and get a whiff of bullshit?
    Or someone who has perhaps been battered or bullied.

12. PCLoadLetter

I'm saying if I have a choice between believing a woman's account of sexually assault or supporting a guy who admits to a parade of sexual assaults, I'm not going to side with the guy who had a remote-control lock on his office door. He doesn't really get the benefit of the doubt with me.

But you do you, man. Keep calling her a whore.

Draft saved Draft deleted