1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#MeToo 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, May 7, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Perhaps. But going the extra mile, making an effort to punish Jackson? Banning CBS o and os from promoting her album, banning her from the Grammys because he didn't think her apology was good enough? Shoot - MTV produced the thing and was/is under the same umbrella.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

MTV produced it but didn't tell CBS what it was planning.

CBS got fined a half-million dollars and the FCC also threatened the local stations with substantial fines for airing it. That's 200 or so GMs climbing up Moonves' ass, wanting to know why something on his network was going to cost them tens of thousands of dollars.

You could certainly argue that singling out Janet was unfair -- somehow Justin Timberlake managed to skate on this one -- but Moonves had every right to be salty.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that this story asks some interesting questions, mainly: When, if ever, is it OK for a guy who admits he created a hostile work environment to attempt to stage a comeback as a “changed man”?

It’s about Charlie Hallowell, a formerly popular chef in Oakland.

8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

It's possible, but it depends on the situation. I don't think anyone is jumping at Harvey Weinstein getting a second chance after all he's done.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

12. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

This reminds me of the discussion about whether to prohibit employers from asking job applicants about their criminal history. I assume that the group of people who wouldn't want to give someone like the chef another chance overlaps with the group that wouldn't want employers to have the information needed to decide not to give a convicted criminal another chance. The two cases aren't identical; convicted criminals have paid the price that society has set for their crimes, so there's an argument that they should have a mostly clean slate going forward (with some exceptions, of course), while most MeToo villains have suffered loss of prestige/position/power/money from the private sector but have not been convicted by the authorities or served jail time. In the case of the chef, I think I'd go to some other restaurant but wouldn't much care if other people chose differently. If I were hiring, I'd definitely want to know about an applicant's criminal history, which I probably would consider to be two but not three strikes against them, depending on the details.

Draft saved Draft deleted