1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What you said about Kerry and gay people enjoying equal protection of the law, isn't what his stance actually was. He was in favor of civil unions that came with the same exact legal protections as a marriage. What he opposed was calling it a "marriage." It was a semantic distinction as far as he was concerned.

This was the kind of distinction a lot of people were making when this was taking shape, because marriage had always been between a man and a woman, and getting people to embrace a change to a very etrenched norm is difficult.

Does that make him (or Bush, if he was pandering) a coward? Maybe. But welcome to presidential politics in 2004.

My personal feelings toward things like this is that there is no reason for this to be dictated by our government. If two men or two women want to get married, it has zero impact (negative, at least) on the life of any heterosexual person, just as if a man and a woman want to get married, it has no impact on any gay person's life. Which is why my attitude then (as now) was pretty much, "If two people want to get married, regardless of who they are, they should be free to do what they want."

If Ellen Degeneris wants to have animus toward George Bush because he insisted that marriage should remain between a man and a woman, which really was pretty much the politically viable stance regardless of party in 2004, that would be her right. I'll walk a mile in her shoes before I judge. If she doesn't, though, because she thinks he's a fundamentally decent guy, that's her right, too. I'm not going to stand on a soap box and tell her how to feel.

As I said in my original post, though, my sense has always been that Bush is a decent guy and he was never a person with hateful beliefs. I suspect if you could get an answer out of him today about it, he'd be fine with gay people getting married. His dad was an official witness to a gay marriage in Maine a year or two before he died. Attitudes in America changed a bit between 2004 and now. To look at 2004 through the prism of 2019 and try to impute attitudes or motives that way is wrong, in my opinion.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I’m sorry. You can’t take active measures to seek to deny a group equal protection of the laws and then get yourself off the hook by calling it semantics or likening it to someone else’s much more passive approach. And then to give him credit for what you “suspect?” OK then.

Just to reiterate- I think I might enjoy a one on one interaction with GWB. But I wouldn't criticize those who feel put off by Ellen - who is insulated from a lotbof harm by virtue of her wealth - reducing and trivializing fundamenal rights and humanity to a “difference of opinion.” It stifles important dissent.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  3. The Big Ragu

I don't know if I am following you correctly. But if you are trying to make a distinction between what George Bush was advocating in 2004 and what John Kerry was saying, and making one, "denying a group equal protection of the law" and the other "a passive approach," you are rewriting history.

John Kerry was AGAINST gays being allowed to get married. He was in favor of it being decided at the state level, and he was for civil unions being allowed at the state level.

There was nothing "passive" about his stance. That is exactly what he was saying.

If it's a "denying a group equal protection of the law" issue, the practical implications of what he advocated for were EXACTLY THE SAME as was what George Bush was advocating for, even if Bush was pandering to the Christian moralists with a, "We should amend the constitution on top of it, to prevent states from legalizing gay marriage." Bush, too, said he favored civil unions and that it should be left to the states to decide if they wanted those unions, which someone could argue was notable, because he was against his own party's platform.

As far as denying a group equal protection of the law, civil unions were legally the same as marriage -- it really was a semantic issue, as in, "Don't call it marriage!" The area where it legally made a difference was that at the Federal level it wouldn't have come with the same social security benefits, if you want to make an argument about it not offering equal protection under the law. There again, though, John Kerry was in the exact same place as George Bush. He was opposed to gay marriage. There was nothing passive about his stance.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

As far as changes in society go, the change from anti-gay to pro-gay was like a switch being thrown. It felt that quick.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I agree with that all the way ... and I grew up in an era where faggot was thrown about quite liberally.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The pope is a gangster
    Because there was so many infrastructure proposals when the GOP had House control from 2016-2018...

These maroons think everyone is as stupid as their sheepish followers.

7. The Big Ragu

Again, though, I don't see it as "pro gay" vs. "anti gay." Marriage had always been between a man and a woman. Getting people to see the world differently, and make a change to an entrenched norm, was the issue. A lot of those people weren't "anti gay," it was them being resistant to changing a status quo that had pretty much always been the status quo.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

True.

But the Executive Branch was reined in during the aftermath of Watergate and stayed in check for a few years.

Then, slowly but surely, the legislature began to let the presidents and their administrators take actions that were deemed necessary at the moment because legislators were reluctant to go on the record as supporting decisions that might not play well with some of their voters.

Then, 9/11 happened and quick action by the executive faced little opposition and executive power was renewed at pre-Nixon levels.

Just three or so years ago, some is the loudest voices decrying the power of the presidency came from the very GOP members who vocally support the power of the White House now.

Members of both parties in the legislature ceded their position, largely because they were unwilling undertake tough political debates on their own.

On second thought, perhaps it is fitting that this clown in the Oval Office, and the shit show that he has created, is the one who makes the legislature finally reassert itself.

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

There are people who still post Spicoli quotes and gifs, and just laugh and laugh. Says all it needs to say about them, really.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not the one I was referring to, but sure, that one's still funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.