1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great California blackout coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This is going to be nuts. We're expecting high winds in the coming days and to avoid a repeat of Santa Rosa, PG&E is going to cut power to customers across 30 of California's 58 counties. This isn't the rolling blackouts of 20 years ago, this will be a prolonged cut for a matter of days. Even when they deem the threat safe, they need time to make sure the lines won't blow if they flip the switch. So it could be 2 to 5 days with no power.

PG&E's power shut-off watch for Northern California: Here's what you need to know

San Francisco should be spared but San Jose (the third largest city in CA) could see outages. Going to be a mess.

maumann likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't look at me. I dutifully raked the forest when it was my turn.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have little doubt there is nothing to the theory that this is a big bad company which faces an existential threat should it spark yet another fire just strong-arming its communities. PG&E would never do that.

maumann likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

For all the great things I hear about California and living there, the state seems to deal with more extreme bullshit -- largely due to weather and the environment -- than just about anywhere. I will not be retiring there, Florida or Louisiana. Crazy shit just seems to befall these areas.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Without electricity for 36 hrs. I understand safety but am at a loss to think this is necessary; I think it’s the big finger to us. I’m willing to pay a few more taxes for a public utility; at least they can’t give me the finger.

Tweener and HanSenSE like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

May not be a bad investment for y'all in California.

SolarHome 620

I've got this rig in my shop and it works really well.

7. Spartan Squad

That and the cost of living here makes it hard to keep going for a lot of people.

maumann likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

One of the worst things was the deregulation of PG&E. Now we get a company that blows up San Bruno and torches wine country. Great system we got here.

qtlaw likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If the situation wasn't so silly it would be comedy gold: PG&E website telling which areas will lose power crashing due to excessive demand.

11. Spartan Squad

My Facebook feed is highly entertaining right now. The amount of people absolutely losing their shit is great. Yeah it sucks. Yeah it's going to be a pain in the ass. No we're not all going to die. No society is not going to crumble.

Still. PG&E is now saying 800,000 customers not counting the So Cal Edison people. My house looks like it will keep power. We'll see.

Tweener likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And nine months from now, there will be a run on Huggies.

Draft saved Draft deleted