1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 6 NFL Thread: Cliff Stoudt edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 8, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought it should have been the Duck Hodges edition because he's probably starting for the Steelers against the Chargers Sunday night. Rudolph is in the concussion protocol and even if he is cleared, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers sit him so he gets an extra two weeks to recover. They have a bye next week.

2. outofplace

Aside from fantasy baseball, I rarely gamble on sports. When I do, I have one rule. I never bet when my favorite team is involved. I've never broken it. I am sorely tempted, but in the end, I can't bring myself to bet against the Steelers no matter how sure a thing I think the bet might be. But you have given me ample temptation here.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I took the Steelers +3.5 on Sunday. Never felt good about it, yet cashed that ticket

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think we'll know if the 49ers are for real after the Rams game. Schedule so far has been soft, despite the national media's swooning over the Browns.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Bengals suck. The Bucs are bipolar, and the Niners got bad Jameis in that one. The Browns are not good. The Steelers were playing their first game without Roethlisberger. The Rams are coming off a tough loss. Should be a fairly interesting game.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold will start for the Jets Sunday against the Cowboys.
    I'm very disappointed in that news. Cowboys -8 1/2 against a team that can't even score eight points with Luke Falk at quarterback was an even bigger lock than Patriots-Redskins last week. Darnold should at least make the Jets competent again. Perhaps even a good bad team. Line is still 7 1/2, but it might be a stay away now.
    Instead I'm locking on to to the Broncos-Titans under 39. Couple of good defenses, and offenses that have broken 20 points twice between them.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

This was a Thursday night, but you’re more likely to see this

9. Sounds likeRudolph is out this week. Tomlin talked about having to take on a HOF QB and get a 3rd string QB ready to play.
    Hodges did ok. Not sure he’ll do well enough to win Sunday with that offense.

1-5 is a STRONG possibility.

Steelers and Pats lead the league in turnovers margin. One is unbeaten (playing a soft schedule), the other is 1-4.

Also, Hodges is wearing Bubby’s old number.

10. outofplace

That's why I thought it should be in the thread title. Also, for some reason, I find it amusing that the Steelers' starting quarterback Sunday will be a guy named Duck. Okay, it's just a nickname, but I enjoy it.

By the way, this is the source of the nickname. And yes, that is him back in 2009.

I'd say 1-5 is almost certain with all the injuries. Jaylen Samuels is out a month with a knee injury. He didn't play well against the Ravens, but having him as a weapon along with Conner had been a positive. Linebacker Mark Barron left Sunday's game with a hamstring injury. He isn't good, but Tyler Matakevich is worse and he got defensive snaps after Barron left Sunday. Steve Nelson has a groin injury, so they could be forced to play Artie Burns at cornerback. None of that is good.

Hodges was fine Sunday and the kid seems to have no issue with confidence, but he does have issue throwing the ball into coverage. He threw two passes that should have been interceptions. Thomas picked one off, but it was called back by a defensive holding penalty. The other one, Diontae Johnson saved the play by interfering with the cornerback. I'm guessing he will be good for at least a couple of interceptions in a full game. I like Hodges, but I don't think he is ready to succeed as a starter just yet, even for only one game.

11. Fuck you guys, make the running NFL thread next week. ;)

Bubby Brister Edition ...

Though, I'm pretty sure it's going to be the Tim Whorley-Durley Conspiracy thread.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

A team has to screw its fans and give up a home game. Only bad teams will do that/are asked to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted