1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proud Dad Moment - Son “Signs” for College Soccer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Oct 8, 2019.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Happened today and I couldn’t be happier.

He signed with a D3 soccer program that meets all of the criteria he wanted - his major, often nationally ranked in the sport, will compete for the starting spot as a freshman, about 8,000 students and not too far from home.

The kid worked hard to reach this. Even tonight he has goalie practice until 9:30.

We visited all sorts of schools, D1 to NAIA. Schools in all four time zones. Had some walk-on interest in D2 (MileHigh’s back yard) and real low D1 but this was the place he felt the most wanted.

Covering college sports definitely helped in the process as I knew that these programs don’t have any money and any scholarships would be academic. He got quite a bit off so we might be able to get him out without too much debt.

When I was in sports, I wondered why college students played D3 where the stands are empty and no one really cares. He’s going to have a lot of that but he loves being part of a team that will travel all over to play a sport he loves. That’s pretty damn cool.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mazel tov!

exmediahack likes this.
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That's fabulous news. He's earned it, but he's also a lucky young man. The dream.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Make sure you send your local sports editor a letter noting that he did NOT cost your son a scholarship.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

No new Laz-E-Boy for four years.

FileNotFound, wicked and Chef2 like this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Congrats. I wish I would have had the opportunity to watch my child play for four more years.

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

This is awesome. With a daughter two years from college, this hits me hard. Again, congrats.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Give him a turn on the La-Z-Boy. He earned it.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Congrats and I hope he makes a lot of money off his likeness.

HanSenSE, wicked, sgreenwell and 2 others like this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted