1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 10)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Have English pundits always been so blatantly xenophobic? An English player goes down in the box, and it's "brilliant way to get 3 points for the team" and "he was contacted and had every right to go down." I've never heard any even remote criticism of Harry Kane or Raheem Sterling, two of the biggest divers in the game.

But a foreign player goes down? It's the end of the fucking world and a pox on football.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Pretty much. The caricature of "fragile Johnny Foreigner" being unable to handle a Proper Tackle (TM) was around before the Magnificent Magyars used England as a chew toy at Wembley and, somehow, survives to this day despite said Johnny Foreigners and foreign money being what keeps English football relevant. Klinsmann came to Tottenham with two strikes against him -- being German and having a reputation as a diver -- but short-circuited the narrative by showing he was in on the joke. As long as the notion of England being some safe haven of fair play and Corinthian values amidst a sea of avarice and villainy persists, I don't see that behavior changing.

3. Regan MacNeil

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’d be shocked if Ole survives the next 24 hours.

5. Regan MacNeil

Bring back Mourinho!

6. Webster

I wonder if Mou has a next big club move. It ends so badly for him everywhere. I think that he has one more swing at RM.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Someone is bound to take a chance on him -- 56 is an early age to walk away from the club game. Plus, Mourinho hasn't spent more than a year out of a job since he got into coaching. What's interesting to me is the similarities between him and Guardiola. Both seem to follow the pattern of walking in, burning brightly, then burning out and/or moving on after three years. Not sure if it's their intensity or the all-encompassing nature of their approach that makes them more susceptible to burnout, or perhaps it's their being at big-money, high-profile clubs that count anything less than a domestic treble and a Champions League final appearance as a failure of a season.

Mourinho
    2000 Benfica
    2001–2002 União de Leiria
    2002–2004 Porto
    2004–2007 Chelsea
    2008–2010 Inter Milan
    2010–2013 Real Madrid
    2013–2015 Chelsea
    2016–2018 Manchester United

Guardiola
    2007–2008 Barcelona B
    2008–2012 Barcelona
    2013–2016 Bayern Munich
    2016– Manchester City

8. Webster

9. Webster

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That was pure genius by Rooney to block everybody but Vardy.

11. Regan MacNeil

Wayne himself must love his family's personal shit being aired in The S*n, of all places.

12. Webster

Chat shit get banged.

Draft saved Draft deleted