1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP York Journal Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 1, 2019.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

At first I thought this was the daily paper in York, Pa.

Still sucks for those folks who will lose their jobs in Maine. And once the economy inevitably goes into a recession*, I fear we will see many announcements like this.

* — as someone still in the business, I realize the newspaper industry never emerged from the 2008-09 recession.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Not to get political, but isn't that the one thing Trump is doing well? The economy? And don't the Repubs generally do the economy well? Not taking sides just wondering why people think the economy is doomed.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Any growth that has come has been weak, without wage growth. Consumer debt is on the rise, the global economy stinks, Trump is making it worse with his silly trade strategy, and tech is about to shit the bed. Lower confidence with an impeachment looming. Everything sucks. Look at the bond markets.

5. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

So one guy owns all the Maine dailies except for the Bangor Daily News. I guess a monopoly is allowed when an industry is perceived as dying??

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's not a monopoly. Those newspapers aren't in the same geographical markets. Plus, newspapers don't just compete with other newspapers.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It’s a pretty telling sign when the Press Herald has a higher penetration rate in Biddeford than the local daily.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Trump tried to kill newspapers with his tariff on Canadian newsprint. He largely failed, but it left a mark.

9. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

It also never emerged from Craigslist and more Boomers with cataracts. Reading the NYT and Bloomberg online everyday has been my normal for a couple years, and I got used to it without realizing it. Can't imagine reading a piece now without embedded links, or the ability to open a new tab and get a definition for a new word. Now, when I grab a Times or a WSJ in the airport club, it feels odd. And my own largest outlet has never been in print, and the rest all have dynamic web pages. Online done right works.

maumann and I Should Coco like this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As a reader, I agree with this statement.

Unfortunately, as a journalist, our shop and many others can't make online work from a business/budget standpoint, at least not in the way advertising supported print 10-15 years ago.

maumann likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a job listing for this paper on our jobs board within the last 6-8 months?

Draft saved Draft deleted