1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming soon: NCAA v. California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Yep, but not during the season, and offseason jobs must be run through the compliance office to make sure they are paid the going rate for similar services. So no more $10,000 a week for making sure the nets in the gym are on straight. When these new laws go into place, count on them being similarly abused.

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

None of which makes my original statement false. As far as a cheap moral statement, don’t you find the ability to earn your market value a moral issue?

4. Baron Scicluna

They can, technically, after years of athletes fighting for it. But most of them don’t have time for jobs, between school and athletics. And when their scholarship is contingent upon performance, they’re not going to spend time working on a paid job.

5. Baron Scicluna

And remember, those are supposedly “voluntary” workouts.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Good for the player. Why does this offend people?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’s an interesting question. Really.

It doesn’t matter as far as our souls are concerned.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

It doesn't offend me, as long as the kid pays taxes on his income. I just believe the trickle-down of this will be the eventual elimination of mid-major programs, and with them the opportunities for a lot of underprivileged kids to get educations. Kids who, without football, will have no hope of winding up in college, whether they belong there or not. Who cares about them, though, as long as a power-5 star tailback can make a few extra bucks before getting his $14 million NFL signing bonus, right?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I guess I'm not sure why paying the players over the table instead of under it leads to the collapse of intercollegiate athletics.

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Because the gap between the haves and have-nots will increase. If you're (insert name of low-level D1 team), you depend on the $1.3 million payday your school gets for its annual beatdown at the hands of (insert name of high-level power-5 team). I think the ability for players to earn money at the bigger programs will lead more players to go there, be it as preferred walk-ons, or 23rd members of recruiting classes, who may have previously gone to the mid-level teams. The growing talent disparity could lead to those already uncompetitive games going away, and the income streams going with them. Minus those paydays, most of those programs can't exist. This is just something I believe will happen. It won't happen overnight, but a gradual effect will be, as happens with most things, the rich getting richer and the poor having no chance.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why is it going to eliminate mid major programs?

I see you answered this already.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maintaining an awarded scholarship is not based on performance. All P5 conference athletes sign guaranteed four-year agreements.

Draft saved Draft deleted