1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many People Still Read What Sports Columnists Write?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You read Frederickson and Hochman? God those guys at the PD make me want to hurl. Some of the biggest homers in the business in STL. Hated it when Bernie left. Hochman isn't so much a homer as he is just soft. I can't even read the rest of them. They're awful.

2. Doc Holliday

I can't stand that motherfucker. Writes nothing but hate in hope of clicks. Total assclown. I won't click on a story by him just so he doesn't get the hit.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think the hate-writer label holds as much anymore. Writes a lot of feel-good stories and many from outside metro Indy, maybe even too many. And a lot of those go a bit long for me, like it's the columnist-as-longform guy.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

If you live in New England, Shaughnessy and Tara Sullivan (recent transplant from NJ) are must-reads.
    Tara's column from a week ago captured the AB-Pats' saga perfectly.
    It’s difficult to have confidence in NFL regarding Antonio Brown case - The Boston Globe

wicked likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Leonard Pitts is all I read anymore.
    In a time not long ago it was Mike Bianchi.

6. Doc Holliday

I won't read him again, so he'll always be a hate writer to me. Fuck that guy.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder at exact point in time the leading local sports talk show host became a bigger, more influential figure than the lead sports columnist on the local paper.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

At my previous shop, our columnist was No. 1 in web traffic and No. 2 in digital subscriptions behind the lead football reporter. And my columns (I'm not there anymore so who gives a flying hoot) had the highest rate of subscriptions per story. I think having a distinct and authoritative voice in a market still matters to that market's audience, even in a world where readers are picking up the physical paper less often. At least, based on the data I've had at my disposal. Same goes for here in Charlotte.

Liut likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course people still read them and subscribe for them.

11. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I'll read Plaschke when there is something interesting/unusual/controversial happening with the local teams and I want to get his take. But I have to be selective because, as a non-subscriber, I can only access x number of articles on the LAT website per month.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if the decline in importance is that with social media - everyone figures they know about as much about what is going on as anyone and just because someone has a defined space three times a week on a piece of paper doesn't make their opinion any more valid than their own.
    What sets a columnist/opinion person apart these days, whether in print, tv or radio is having a very unique opinion that nobody is sharing. And sadly you end up with a lot of hot takists and contrarians (Skip, SAS, Clay) who people know not because they make convincing arguments, but unpopular ones and at a high volume.

Draft saved Draft deleted