1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

You consider Dawel Lugo, Christin Stewart and Jake Rogers nothing? Heh heh

maumann and heyabbott like this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Imagine paying Justin Verlander $16 million to win Cy Youngs for another team.

maumann likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The people putting forth different versions aren't picking and choosing randomly. It is an honest difference of opinion and the creators are open about their choices. Some people think a pitcher's WAR should use FIP instead of something based on runs. As long as the people using the stat know this, I don't see a problem.
    And the issue of approximation is the same for every player. Yeah, you cannot tell the difference between a 2.1 WAR player and a 2.3 WAR player in a single season. Over a career, the best players will distinguish themselves.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But WAR, on its face, doesn’t distinguish between player who had good production over a long period of time and players who were better but over a shorter period of time. As my prior examples showed DiMaggio and Yount, Winfield and Boyer.
    A player’s Average WAR over their prime might distinguish it. But WAR seems to be a very complicated way to get to a very simplistic answer.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Callaway out in NY. Actually think he did a decent job considering the circumstances.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's the same with any cumulative stat. HRs don't distinguish between Harold Baines and Larry Walker. Plus, WAR adjusts for league and year. People know to look at total WAR and, say, top-5 seasons to better compare players.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I am aware that they aren't using random choices. In fact, that was part of my point. They are manipulating the data with their choices. And you do have statheads trying to tell you that the 2.3 WAR player is better than the 2.1 WAR player even though another version of WAR will flip-flop the order.

At best, it is still often misused and/or misunderstood.

8. bigpern23

No single stat can accurately compare all players across generations. As always, you need to look at the whole picture. WAR is a decent shorthand, but isn't perfect.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

He got better as he went along. Never could get Edwin Diaz fixed. His downfall.

Be interesting to see who the Mets go with. Front office had a yes man with Callaway. Will they go with another?

Maddon seems out, likely to Padres or Angels.

Joe Girardi and Carlos Beltran being talked about early.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can't see Joe going back to New York. I'd love to see Girardi get a shot with the Cubs.

11. bigpern23

Why wouldn't he? He handled the media pretty well during his time with the Yankees, had a lot of success and still lives there. He obviously likes the city and wouldn't have to uproot his family to work there. Plus, the Mets have a solid core of players that could contend pretty quickly with a few offseason moves and a decent manager. If the Mets actually offered a decent salary, I can't imagine why he wouldn't manage there.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

A yes man? He wasn't BVW's hire, so he would have had to make himself hard to fire to save his job. He didn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted