1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Guess it's a sign of the times that news like this has been out there all day and this is the first post. Chris Stone is out as editor, and 40 to be laid off as early as Friday, according to WSJ.

Make that Thursday.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

40 layoffs? What's SI's goal for the future? Web only? 40 is a helluva lot of people for one layoff.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The sad thing is that SI had a circulation of 2.75 million in 2018.

I don't care what your profit margin is on each issue. Selling 2.75 million of anything week in week out shouldn't be a hit-the-panic-button moment.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

The WSJ article said that they're going to be hiring 200 contract workers down the road. Sounds more like a re-allocation than anything.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sure

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Just stumbled across the name Ross Levinsohn in that story. IIRC, he was the guy who was publisher of the LA Times for about 18 minutes before he got drummed out after a staff revolt.

Tweener likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, now it's more like selling 2.75 million two weeks in, two weeks out.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's sad. I won't pretend I've read it recently, the physical product. Its Web site is more functional than it once was, but the coverage is pretty unremarkable.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cannella has been with SI for years. Feel bad for Stone who had to guide SI through some very choppy waters, overseen the layoffs of dozens of people who made that magazine that magazine and transition the operation from Time-Life to ....TheMaven? Honestly - I feel bad for any exec that has to write a memo about how excited they are to introduce "TheMaven" as their new corporate overlords. It sounds like a Batman villian.
    I don't think my subscription will ever run out. Oddly enough - I think the editorial could still be strong - but I think a Seattle company that has less than two years in will really fall short in retaining the advertisers.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What is the best way to describe how Sports Illustrated has done financially in recent years, especially in ad sales?

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Quote The Maven: Nevermore

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hopefully all 40 are from the SI Swimsuit Issue, which is archaic and pointless in this day and age.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted