1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover of Wednesday's Washington Post sports section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Oct 2, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Perhaps a more shallow strip across the top if you’re going to play it that way? The Mystics photo doesn’t do much for me. She’s sad; of course she is, they lost.

I would’ve suggested a one-column strip on the right, perhaps, but that would’ve dampened the impact of the nice horizontal and made for a challenge in the Mystics hed.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Like I said earlier, it's a no-win situation. Bury the Mystics and get burned by the bra-burning set, or play them big and get kicked in the balls by the Kornheisers of the world. Personally I thought they played it right.

Back in the day the Dallas Morning News would've run two sports sections with each getting major play. Those days went away about the time Creed was riding high on the charts.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One of my first thoughts reading this page was, is design still in-house? A paper the size of the Post, I'm guessing it still is. But for the Podunks of the world that outsource it? Good luck changing on the fly.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I blame women’s soccer.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I still hate seeing ads on a front page like that.

I’m less crazy about the play on Soto’s name than the basketball story on top of everything.

And if Soto is in the headline, why isn’t he in the art?

Please, get off my lawn.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is there a fainting room around?

This is what sets people off ...

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the only one who found the biggest fault to be the lack of a caption on the Nats' photo.

Songbird likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Layout is fine. I’d ask the mystics beat writer to bring more of an A game to a WNBA finals story than that though. Damn near reads like wire.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great hed and Great photo.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

There is a thread on this and there was no thread on the crazy South Carolina football headline in The State last week? (I realize that I could have started one. It's just surprising.)

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I started one on that headline last week. And found it somehow without the search function!

Headline in the State

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Very well! I'll see myself out.

Draft saved Draft deleted