1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cover of Wednesday's Washington Post sports section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not sure WaPo handled the placement of the stories incorrectly. In some places, they'll strip something across the top that is not necessarily the centerpiece.

What was handled incorrectly ... a hammer or banner hed should have been above the centerpiece photo. Helps readers separate the Mystics' gamer/photo and the centerpiece photo. That is, of course, if you're to package those stories as such. If Mystics strips along the bottom of the page or goes inside, then ignore and proceed.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Can you explain? Because I am not sure I am following.

To my eye, the WNBA story was placed ahead of the Nats story if most readers' eyes go to that story first. It's about how it played in print. I said in my post that maybe I don't read the same way as most people, but that was what happened when I looked at the page. And the Nats story was the biggest story of the day.

Do you think I am making some kind of philosophical statement about the WNBA? I can't tell if that is what you mean.

Unless you are saying it doesn't matter because way fewer people read the print edition than used to. Fine, if that is what you mean, but to the extent anyone does pay attention to the print edition, I don't know why it is a "modern thinking" question as much as a question about whether the design achieved what it should have.

3. Sam Mills 51

Have to defend Double Down's thinking here, Ragu. Some publications - many could and probably will argue too many publications - tend to believe in more than one lead story. So they'll strip a story across the top, then put the CP with the dominant art below it.

Thing is - and those closer to D.C. and/or who subscribe to WaPo would have a much better grip on this than I - I would think WaPo would have enough flexibility to opt for another layout option.

Is the desk fairly well staffed to make a quick change realistic? The game swung from hopeless to victorious for the Nats in the eighth inning. Could the section realistically be re-budgeted and the front torn up to make this a reality?

A lot of places are resorting to paint-by-numbers templates to make up for some combination of staffing shortages and lack of sports knowledge and ability to make a late call to change stuff at the last minute. While I would hope this hasn't happened given that Jeff Bezos has been willing to fund WaPo, I put nothing above question in this industry anymore.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yep. I thought the Nats were celebrating that Della Donne got hurt.

5. The Big Ragu

Thanks, Sam.

I really wasn't sure I was understanding. If modern thinking meant the print edition doesn't matter -- and maybe I should have just understood that, but I didn't -- yeah, I get that design, copy editing, etc. has been victimized by the industry realities. If it is a matter of resources, at least there is a reason for it. And I get that print doesn't matter the way it did even just a few years ago for most dailies.

I think a part of me thought that because the WaPo is profitable, and it is putting out a couple hundred thousand dead tree editions a day, it is still a different beast.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Another problem is the ad at the bottom of the page. I think they wanted to split the WNBA and ad based on their sizes with the Nats in the middle

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I guess not. :(

8. The Big Ragu

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The headline can be "Two for the Blow" after they get swept by the Dodgers.

SFIND likes this.
  10. drexler

drexler New Member

This is clearly the justification. Reverse the stories with the two strips on the bottom and that looks ridiculous.

Plus, as it is, both headlines are above the fold. Win-win.

11. Sam Mills 51

That hammer would not be above the fold. And that's a problem, no matter what we think of the strip, ad or anything else.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pathetic.

I love that there's a debate about this page, though I wish I could get as riled up about it as I would have 20 years ago.

jr/shotglass and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted