1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Tigers gave away JD Martinez, Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander for essentially nothing.

maumann likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How much of that was driven by money? What I'm talking about is teams always selling off talent to protect the owner's profits.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Is it a rule that every effing marginal and back-up catcher eventually becomes a manager? Jesus man.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The conventional wisdom is to take the bench coach of a successful active manager. Not saying it’s the right thing to do but Nats, O’s and Twins currently have Maddon’s Bench coaches.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I remember that Baseball Prospectus had a glib Rule of Back-Up Catcher Defense - Namely, that the worse a catcher was at hitting, the more his reputation was exaggerated when it came to defense and "game handling," as if to justify his roster spot. I imagine that with managerial candidates, the catcher being the liaison between the pitching staff and manager, as well as often the clubhouse leader, probably gets them "extra points." (I bet someone has looked at C vs. non-C manager records, but I'm too lazy to Google for it right now.)

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Career WAR is a cumulative stat just like HRs, hits, etc, which people have forever used to compare players' careers. Nobody claims that Don Sutton is better than Bob Gibson because the former has more wins.

That's not a fair criticism. It is a tool for comparison so the exact number doesn't matter as long as you use the same system to compare players.

BB-ref explains the differences this way:

Different parts of the stat can have different inputs, but all the choices are defensible. Look at the inputs and decide which ones you think make the better choices. In the end, though, the differences aren't that great.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Girardi has Cubs written all over him

heyabbott likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don’t have an opinion of Girardi as a manager, but as a man I respect the hell out of him for the way he handled Darryl Kile’s death, telling the Wrigley crowd that the game wasn’t going to be played because of a tragedy in the Cardinals family.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They key word in the Baseballreference explanation is that it is an approximation. Also, your claim regarding picking and choosing whichever inputs you think are better supports my point. It is akin to manipulating statistics to fit your chosen narrative. That is a significant flaw. War is a manipulation of numbers that can be used to fit a possible narrative.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Where are the As bats?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nothing worse than seeing a team do nothing on offense. Nine LOB. Ugh.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

A lot of it
    After a decade of chasing a title, the window had closed
    Upton was traded for peanuts because his agent inferred to Avila he would opt out
    Martinez reportedly turned down 4/$80M
    They had to pay the Astros $16M to take JV
    Plus they were still paying the Rangers $6M for Prince Fielder
    Zimmermann and Cabrera are the only big salaries left
    Kinsler would only accept a trade to the Angels

Draft saved Draft deleted