1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hasn't WAR been around long enough that the powers that be agree on a standard formula?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

By the end of 2011 I would have bet that Lincecum would be a HOF'er; his flameout is one of the weirdest I've ever seen without an injury.
    Posey's got to be a HOF'er but needs to put up at least one more stud year.

Even as a fanboi, not sure there's another HOF'er on those teams other than MadBum, and he needs to go the Frank Tanana route and show some longevity without the gas.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not a specific injury, but I've always been amazed that somebody didn't stop that delivery and change it years ago. It just looks so weird and destined to lead to breakdowns. But maybe not.

4. tapintoamerica

Winning % by playoff teams vs. other playoff teams:
    A's .5652 (92 wins per 162)
    Yankees .5610 (91)
    Braves .5500 (89)
    Astros .5319 (86)
    Dodgers .5294 (86)
    Brewers .4898 (79)
    Twins .4865 (79)
    Cardinals .4782 (77)
    Rays .4091 (66)
    Walgreens .4048 (66)

Not sure if it will mean anything, but let's play ball.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Posey doesn't have a stud year left in him at this point. He just needs to not get hurt and produce at an average level for at least the two guaranteed years on his contract.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seems like this would benefit from showing their actual records against playoff teams.

7. tapintoamerica

True.
    Here it is.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 9.13.24 PM.png

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Cole won 20, so Verlander isn’t the only one but I still think Verlander is going to get it; he was dominating for most of year and had some tough losses.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

FWIW, I remember Keith Law and some other scouting types always mentioning how awful Lincecum's wind-up was. The other guy Law always spoke about that way was Chris Sale, who was awesome... up until the past two years, when he's been 29 and 30, and only managed 27 and 25 starts. Still though, if a guy is at an All-Star level, I think you have to ride it out as opposed to making a major mechanical change.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.

sgreenwell and poindexter like this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't believe the Pirates turned a contender into a disaster by selling off parts and putting the cheapest product possible on the field. Oh wait.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wake me when those teams can do it consistently and spend through mistakes like the Yankees and Dodgers do.

Draft saved Draft deleted