1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Thank you, jury. When you walk into another person's apartment you know at a glance that it is not your home.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Speaks volumes that so many folks are surprised by the verdict.

Now we can wonder about the sentence.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The fact that she was so embolden to take this to trial assuming that a simple "oops, my bad" would get her off is just the epitome of arrogance and privilege.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

She will have to be segregated from genpop or she’ll be shanked.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Now how long will she been she sentenced?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’ll play devil’s advocate here. Granted she was incredibly incredibly reckless and stupid, but you think that this was anything but a tragic mistake?

Liut likes this.
  7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Not really, which is why it was arrogance and privilege to think she would get off scot free when she should've been thinking plea bargain from the go. But I'm sure she thought she was no different than every other cop that killed an unarmed black man before PLUS she's a blonde chick so they would be naturally sympathetic.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It’s more than just a tragic mistake because of the way that she handled it. From what I’ve read, she heard Jean in the apartment, entered with her gun drawn and fired before he could say anything. Even if it would have been her apartment, she didn’t wait for any explanation and shot him before he could get off the couch.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I’m not giving her that much credit. Shes just a fucking idiot who should have never been handed a badge.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

If she knew it wasn't her apartment, why would she pull her gun?
    Not that I absolve her of blame. I agree with Oggiedoggie. She had no reason to shoot the guy. If she followed procedure, she wouldn't have entered the apartment, but called the police.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...exts-botham-jean-murder/?wpisrc=nl_mix&wpmm=1
    But after a jury convicted Amber Guyger, 31, of murder on Tuesday, prosecutors introduced text messages sent by the former officer that show her making offensive statements. In the texts, Guyger jokes about Martin Luther King Jr.’s death, mocks her black colleagues and discusses a dog that her friend warns “may be racist.”

“It’s okay.. I’m the same,” Guyger wrote back about the dog, just days before she fatally shot 26-year-old Botham Jean in his Dallas apartment on Sept. 6, 2018. One minute later, she texted again: “I hate everything and everyone but y’all.”

If you want to slog through the racist texts

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Those seem more like tasteless, stupid jokes between friends than evidence of racism.

Draft saved Draft deleted