1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omar Kelly on Antonio Brown

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bronco77, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Surprised nothing has been posted here yet about this unless it's somewhere else and I'm not looking in the right place.

I wasn't a fan of this guy when I worked at the Sun-Sentinel and haven't changed my mind since then. A few people who have covered the NFL have told me he's an industrywide joke.

https://deadspin.com/dipshit-nfl-reporter-exposes-his-entire-ass-with-blockh-1838049950

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Quite an indictment. Does he have a radio show? Curious if that medium might explain the need for such a take.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know about Omar Kelly, so I won't comment on his tweets, other than to say they're bad. And maybe I don't read the right stuff, but this is the first time I've seen "Dipshit" in a headline, and "dumb-fuck" in a story, particularly when not used in a quote. The worldwide web really has gone wild, and completely unedited, I guess.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That’s a semi-regular occurrence at Deadspin.

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Deadspin is a bunch of anarchists

justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Haven't lived in SoFla for almost two years now, but when I did he had an occasional fill-in gig for one of the sports talk stations. His primarily job, then and now, is covering the Dolphins for the Sun-Sentinel.

Yes, the Deadspin wording is crazy. But quite a few people who know this reporter would say the assessments are not inaccurate.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  7. Snow Black

Snow Black New Member

How many people have had to help hide his incompetence over the years? The guy has a Trump-like record of saying stupid things. And the gutless management gave him a rap on the knuckles and let him go back to work. If ever there is a story about allegations against a Dolphins player, there's no way he can write it now that his credibility is shot.

Bronco77 likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

(raises hand)

Slacker, Bronco77 and Snow Black like this.
  9. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

He has Trump-like Twitter spelling issues, too: "Athletes being prayed upon for money..."

Unless he was referring to one of the many con-artist evangelical pastors that SoFla is so loaded with. (I lived there for a while, too.)

10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Dear lord what an ignorant loser. Trump AND Omar

11. sporty

sporty Member

I don't know Omar well but I know him enough to say he is a good guy and an outstanding journalist. Unfortunately, I think his initial reaction was not unlike a lot of men who were thrown off by the initial moves of the first accuser. You also really didn't want to believe Antonio was that stupid. I think it is okay for people, especially journalist, to look at all situations objectively and question the actions of both sides. That's what good reporters do. But we go through that in our heads and perhaps in our reporting before we sit down to write. Hopefully by the time the public sees the end result, we have talked to several people and are telling both sides and an editor or two has looked over your work and questioned parts, if not all, aspects of your reporting on a story of this nature. Unfortunately, social media just allows to jump out there half-baked, unvetted (probably not a word) and unedited. That was Omar's mistake and a mistake many of us have made on social media in general. Twitter is great for our brand and for getting our thoughts out there but it's also very much like walking the high wire without a net. It's all exciting until you slip and fall. I bet Omar understands this now.

RonClements likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I bet Omar has no idea why anyone is/was upset with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted