1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things you strongly dislike, but which most guys/girls like

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Sep 18, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Oh, spare me.

If you love Billy Joel and listening to him brings you piece of mind, knock yourself out. Listen away. Enjoy yourself. No one should let someone else's opinion form their taste or change their enjoyment level. If Billy Joel does that for you, be happy you found it.

He's still a hacky, maudlin, drunk, self-important assclown.

garrow and justgladtobehere like this.
  2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

But he didn't start the fire!

I don't hate Joel with anything like this kind of vitriol, I find some of his songs good and/or pleasant, though many are also hackneyed, but I totally get the criticisms.

He really is an avatar for Baby Boomer nostalgia-as-life style and Boomer nostalgia-as-arrogance (Let's do a we-feel-guilty-about-Vietnam vets song! Let's do a doo wop revival! Let's write an inane song about how it's not our generation's fault!). For that alone, he's pretty annoying, but he mixed in some decent shit too.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

At least he had the good sense to quit while he was ahead and stopped putting out new shit. Can’t say that for many artists. He knew he’d lost his fastball. But the constant sellouts at MSG prove he brings a lot of joy to people’s lives. I saw him once in 1989. Good show. And I’ll put Captain Jack up against most rock songs.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He really is the classic boomer musician. Go ahead with your own life. Leave Me Alone!

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was never a massive fan but our last trip to New York coincided with one of his MSG shows. A friend with the Rangers helped us source tickets and it was a great show. Brought out Tony Bennett to sing "New York State of Mind", played "Highway to Hell" and some other cool covers in addition to all his biggest hits. I agree with CD, he could keep churning out records but has wisely decided not to.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I saw one of his MSG shows about three years ago. My wife was about to get us seats in a luxury box, which was a great bonus. He really does put on an excellent show. Of course, he gets some great guest performers. It was Itzhak Perlman the time we saw him.

At one point, he apologized to the crowd for not having any new songs, knowing full well the audience came to hear old favorites. It might have been the best crowd reaction of the night.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

- Marvel comic movies

- professional wrestling

- Siri / Alexa

- lists

jr/shotglass, CD Boogie and misterbc like this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, uh … Game of Thrones. Any medieval shit, in fact. Could. Not. Care. Less.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Definite articles when referring to freeways. Fight me.

10. CD Boogie

Ya mean like The LIE? Or the Merritt Parkway? Without (the) article, (the) name sounds weird

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

More like the 101 or the 5.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

Sounds like a California-like phenomenon. In CT, ya might call it I-95 or 95, but no one calls it The 95

Draft saved Draft deleted