1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antonio Brown sued - he deserves his own thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 10, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The problem now is that there is just so much awful stuff attached to Brown and there is the threat of him being put in the commissioner's exempt list.

Until Wednesday, you could argue that the sexual misconduct allegations were comparable to what Roethlisberger faced years ago. Roethlisberger was accused of rape by two women, though one of those accusers was eventually discredited. Whatever doubts exist over what happened when he got that girl alone in Georgia, the details that the police revealed about the night to that point were disturbing. There were other reports of Roethlisberger acting like an ass and there was the stupidity of the motorcycle accident, but it wasn't quite like what we have seen with Brown.

Brown's situation is different. For one thing, he is older and possibly just getting past his prime. He also has months of terrible behavior. He has been accused of other bad and sometimes dangerous behavior. He forced his way out of Pittsburgh and Oakland. I don't think either of those teams handled things perfectly, but the erratic and disruptive behavior has to be a concern for any team that might sign him. That was all before the allegations of raping one woman and sexually harassing another. Then you add in the report that he sent threatening text messages to the artist who accused him of sexual assault and used a picture of her children in one of them. That is seriously disturbing.

You make a good point about the impact of video, but I wonder if any team is going to want to take that risk with the mountain of shit Brown has dumped on his own reputation.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I hope not. But it’s the NFL.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if he called grandma while the film crew was rolling after this team released him?

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I would love to see a montage of scenes like the one in camp, when his son asked where Roethlisberger was.

“Ben Roethlisberger plays for the Steelers. We’re on the Raiders now. Derek Carr is our quarterback.”

“Derek Carr plays for the Raiders. We’re on the Patriots now. Tom Brady is our quarterback.”

“Tom Brady is on the Patriots. We’re on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers now. Chris Streveler is our quarterback.”

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

But I thought the NFL hates the Pats and the entire league will do anything to keep them from success?! Roger Goodell! Goodellllllllllllll, you bastarrrrrrrrrddddd!!!!!

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He's too good. Seriously. He fucked himself out of big, easy, generational money, no doubt. But unless/until any of these allegations reach any legal threshold, he's about to be become the biggest value on the NFL free agent market.

To all of us, signing Brown is a thorny fucking issue. To any NFL team, the only calculus is whether he'll be able to play, play well, and preferably without raping anyone (but, you know, if the victims are willing to settle, we might make this work!). Christ.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but three teams have sent him on his way since April, two of them before the rape allegation even surfaced. As I said, it's not about morality. It is about the possibility of a lengthy suspension and other assorted headaches he would bring with him.

Sea Bass likes this.
  8. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I don’t know if I buy that anymore. I don’t know if NFL teams care about the off-field issues, but I do believe they care about their locker rooms. And I don’t know if a contender would be willing to sign someone who quit on the Steelers, was too dysfunction for the Raiders and got booted from the Patriots because he couldn’t do something as simple as not send a threatening group text message to a woman accusing him of sexual misdeeds. And that all happened in less than a year!

The talent is there. So are the headaches. I don’t know if a team would think it’s worth it to handle both.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Million dollar talent.
    10-cent brain.

10. He has more baggage than the entire Kardashian clan heading to London for a 10-day trip.

Maybe a lower tier NFL team (Cincy) would have some interest, but i doubt it.
    He’s sabotaged his career.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Remember just weeks ago that we knew that some team was going to snap him up in a blur once Oakland released him......yeah.....thats probably not the case anymore.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Psychopathic arsonist in addition to violent sexual decviant

Draft saved Draft deleted