1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter | Elizabethtown, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ByTylerMansfield

ByTylerMansfield New Member

I've already built quite the resume, my friend. A lot more went into my decision to leave than what I shared publicly. Not a job many would want. I'll leave it at that.

2. ByTylerMansfield

ByTylerMansfield New Member

With my resume and experience, I was well-suited for the job. It just wasn't what I was looking for. I could've dealt with the commuting and all of the other logistics if the position was what it was played out to be.

3. Situation

Situation Member

That's not what you tweeted.

4. OldAlabamaJoe

OldAlabamaJoe New Member

Listen up kid, do you want to have a long fulfilling career in the sports writing industry?

I can guess exactly what happened. You wanted to cover WKU football for your side gig over your full-time position with the E’town paper.

E’town probably assigned you a cross country meet Saturday morning, that meant you were going to miss the WKU game, and you quit.

Some make it lucky and land full-time jobs with Rivals, but everybody wants those jobs. They’re not easy to get kiddo.

You should have dropped the WKU gig and kept the E’town paper job. If you think you’ll be covering college football right out of college, you’re sadly mistaken, only a lucky few do.

Best way to become a big-time sports writer, is to work for a small town paper - building up clips - and designing pages.

Yes, you’ll be covering a prep football game Friday night and be right back out in the field at 9 a.m. Saturday covering cross country. Don’t want to do that, don’t expect to make it big in the sports writing industry.

Tyler, you need to prove that you can cover cross country, swimming, track, golf, wrestling, etc. before you can get the big gigs.

Sports writing is not just about football, soccer, volleyball, basketball, baseball, and softball. You need to cover it all.

Kid, you need to open your eyes a little bit, and realize you made a mistake. The E’town gig would have looked a lot better on your resume. Yes, covering preps is harder, but you learn a lot more, and that makes you a better reporter.

Jesus_Muscatel and RonClements like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Here comes the airing of grievances ...

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's certainly one way of doing it.

Not sure how viable it is anymore, what with newspapers dying like non-whites in a Rambo movie.

Sticking with websites is probably the way to go now.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I honestly can't blame anyone anymore at any time in any way for quitting a newspaper job for any reason.

TigerVols, Sports Barf, SFIND and 4 others like this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This post would have been relevant in 1995, or even 2005, but not now.

AndrettiSJ likes this.
  9. Stlgooch

Stlgooch New Member

This ad has had more drama than a Days of Our Lives episode.

10. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

Bootstraps!

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm 3 weeks late to the party on this but, IMO, this is the clubhouse leader for SJ post of the year.

SFIND likes this.
  12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Matt Tyson, formerly of The Manschester (Tenn.) Times, is the latest winner of Musical Chairs: Bourbon Country.

He had been at Manchester since Sept. 4, 2018.

Took his first photo for Elizabethtown on Nov. 22.

Paper was getting so desperate, it allowed a fired former employee (not me) to string a high school playoff game last week. Guess my lifetime ban might not be so "lifetime" at this rate.

Draft saved Draft deleted