1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Newspeople Who Are Really Bad at Their Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Doug is a most competent wire service beat guy whose tenure has just happened to coincide with his beat containing a super famous crossover celebrity. I am not going to go back and check, but I'd bet anything AP golf stories from 1960-to, oh, 1969 had as much focus on Arnold Palmer as Ferguson has had on Woods.

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

It's my recollection that when Bob Greene covered golf for AP in the '70s and '80s, his stories invariably called Jack Nicklaus "the greatest of all time" or something like that and were quite Nicklaus-focused. And Greene was considered pretty solid. So it's not just Ferguson.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Erin Andrews asks short questions because she is woefully unprepared for every interview she does. She's isn't really good; she's really bad.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Erin Andrews’ voice grates on my nerves. She has a face for TV and a voice for print.

RonClements likes this.
  5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I don't get the hate for Doug Ferguson....really good reporter, and, as I've experienced, really good person to people much lower than him on the food chain.

Patchen likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I used to mock his Tiger Woods fixation. Then again, I used to do a lot of things on here that were stupid.

7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

How about we pivot this discussion away from Ferguson-bashing to a top 25 (or at least a top 10) of the best AP sportswriters?

On my top 10, off the top of my head:
    Steven Wine, Miami
    Bob Baum, Phoenix
    Ginsburg(?), D.C.
    Greg Beacham, somewhere out west

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

King never prepared questions before hand. He believed it was better to have a spontaneous conversation rather than following a format.

There are two problems with that approach. The first is you are trying to think up and remember the next question and are not listening. The second is that you get mentally stuck and don't have a question.

I have never understood why an interviewer does not have a prepared list of questions. That way when you get stuck you have something to bail your self out with.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    lakefront likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Baum retired earlier this year, Beacham is in LA and David Ginsburg is in Baltimore.
    I'll add Janie McCauley in San Francisco, Paul Newberry in Atlanta and Tim Dahlberg in Las Vegas.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I know Whyno. Think he’s great and he works his sack off. Dynamite transcriber too

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I forgot she existed.

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Wine is terrific. And so is Tim Reynolds, also based in Miami.

Draft saved Draft deleted