1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Fun City" by Sean Deveney. It's an entertaining look at sports and politics in NYC from 1965-1969. Surprised it didn't find a bigger publisher than Sports Publishing/Skyhorse.

2. Finished “I heard You Paint Houses” WOW

1. How had i not read that before now, muchless not heard of it?
    2. I am consistently amazed at the jaw-dropping corruption of the Nixon administration. Amazed. Every Fucking. Time. I know people who list him among the nation’s best presidents (foreign policy and Vietnam). That fuck never should have been pardoned . Never.
    3. I Long believed Oswald acted alone. Not so sure anymore.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of "The Irishman" will follow the book.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Finally got around to reading this. Knocked it out in a couple of days and really enjoyed it. It wasn't the cry-fest I was expecting after reading some reviews of it, but still enjoyable. There are some cringe-worthy moments when he makes bad food decision after bad food decision. I hope he keeps successfully fighting the fight. He seems like a good guy (in the book and on the Twitter).

Joe Bob says check it out.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Heard that Stephen King's latest "The Institute" may be his best ever, so ran down and got the Amazon Prime price at the local Amazon store. Anyone else interested? Could have an off-line book club conversation when done.

6. Need to check it out.
    Just finished The Outsider, which on its face, didn't wow me. But I once I got into, I really enjoyed it.
    His last several novels are really, really good.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm about a quarter of the way through and really enjoying it. Not really a 'discusser' on my end but would enjoy hearing your thoughts. :)

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay will do!

9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

That's quite the claim. I've never heard of it and will check it out.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I've read several books about the blues legend Robert Johnson, and this is probably the definitive biography of the man. The authors have been researching him for more than 40 years, so the reporting and detail are outstanding. They dispel some of the myths that have been created about Johnson, and then have the facts to back up what they say. It's just a really well-done book.

Joe Bob says definitely check it out, especially if you're into the blues or music history, since Robert Johnson was such an influence on so many modern musicians.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Tamon Honda

Tamon Honda New Member

I saw the HBO doc too. I couldn't help but think the one thing Elizabeth Holmes learned was how much money she could collect with mere promises. She thought she could get enough to make her dreams of making all-everything small blood testing machines come true. She thought wrong.

I too will have to give that book a read. Thanks for the tip!

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I found the book strangely disappointing. The book was missing any information on the people at the center of the lie or the people who were falling for the lie. I was left wondering how it ever got that far. Why were people investing? How did the retailers get sucked in without ever checking out the technology? The examples of faked testing were ridiculous, nobody outside of the company ever reviewed the technology, and the financial projections given in the book were ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted