1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Mayor Jacobs pins Truth at Neyland Stadium and as he runs off, he yells, “I’ve still got it!”

LOL

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Dang. New Rusev kinda look likes Dean Makenko on steroids.

3. nietsroob17

The two faces of Jacobs!

4. nietsroob17

Well, there goes Kofi's title reign.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm working and not watching, but I assume Brock showed up?

6. nietsroob17

Yep. Challenge laid down for SD's Fox premiere.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Well it was a nice run for Kofi.

Looked it up out of curiosity, going back 15 years he’s got the 2nd longest reign of guys who won the title at Mania. Only Rollins has been longer. 3rd longest if you include the universal title with Brock’s CM Punk smasher in there.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Masked Man / Shoemaker has mentioned that for the FOX show, it would make sense to "relegate" the bigger guys there, since they make for a more natural fit and comparison point to the football players in promos. It would also differentiate the products, if you had RAW turn into the "worker" show.

Also - WWE should have done a draft for this. By that, I mean just rip off the NFL Draft, and go through the whole roster, except maybe the champions are the only ones who "stick" with their shows. Think of the story angles they could have done - the minor belts suddenly have more significance because you can "stay" on your show, guys can get pissed about where they were drafted, you could have had Heyman and/or Bischoff as on-camera GMs, and so on.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

They announced last week or this week that they're doing a draft on the second week of Smackdown on Fox, with it finishing up on Raw the following Monday.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

... and ignoring it the following week.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I agree Fox wants huge guys who look good next to football players.

Only problem is NXT is the worker brand, so how do you put the little worker guys on Raw and book it like a national tv show without it feeling like NXT-lite?

Also, granted Enes Kanter just won the 24/7 title, but I wonder if given the recent NFL/NBA sniping about which “soap opera” (woj bombs shefter bombs) is better, could we see the NBA align to cross promote with AEW/TNT while the NFL is in bed with WWE/Fox?

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I imagine it'll be the usual, kind of awful WWE draft they usually do. Like I've never understood why they do it the way they do - it's like they watched the NFL and NBA drafts and decided that the most interesting part was when the commissioner announces the pick.

Draft saved Draft deleted