1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why the best film of the 21st century is There Will Be Blood

SFIND, Severian and TigerVols like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Finally watched The Florida Project tonight. Willem Dafoe was terrific, as was the little girl who played Mooney. I mean, I have no sympathy for the deadbeat mother, who doesn't appear to even try to find honest work during the whole film. Playing through the child's eyes was brilliant. I can see why it received so much critical acclaim.

SFIND likes this.
  4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The movie, as well as Moonlight, are great representations of modern Florida.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Twitter is aflame tonight, due to something that was largely a throw off line in a profile of Norman Lear in Variety.

"According to a report by Variety, Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Tony Vinciquerra says that “very famous people whose names I won’t use” want to remake the classic film The Princess Bride."

You'd be amazed at the number and variety of the memes expressing outrage at the idea of a remake of TPB.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, 'Princess Bride' - with its modest budget and its oddball cast - is not a great movie. It is a perfect movie.

Neutral Corner, typefitter and HC like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You should see Dancer in the Dark

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Recommendations for musicals are closed. Forever.

Alma likes this.
  9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'd love to see an announcement that this was approved and the studio planned to remake the movie with a diverse cast and see all the white people go ape shit.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is exactly right. God, I love that movie.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Rocketman was decent, if typically inaccurate. The lead was very strong.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It becomes interesting because we have studios constantly doing remakes or adapting comic books while also trying to employ more diverse casts. That leads to changes in beloved characters, which pisses people off. The better option is to actually be creative and come up with something new. For example, rather than being lazy and casting a black actor as Peter Parker, create another Spider-Man if you want diversity. Marvel did that with Miles Morales and the result has been a well-crafted character in his own right in the comics and in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

On the other hand, we saw Michael B. Jordan cast as Johnny Storm in the last Fantastic Four movie and it sucked. It wasn't Jordan's fault, but it seemed like they got so caught up in playing games with the casting that they forgot about having a half-decent script.

Draft saved Draft deleted