1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week 4

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 16, 2019.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Interesting. I’m surprised it was that recent, but I guess both programs bottomed out for a bit (and Tennessee is still going, apparently).

I’ve long thought Franks was a liability, not a benefit for the Gators. Hated seeing him go out like that, but Trask seemed to be at least addition by subtraction behind center. Then again, it was Kentucky’s defense that was weakened by injuries and targeting penalties, so who knows.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A Premier League-type scenario is certainly developing, with a huge gap between the haves and have-nots. A sub-set of the current BCS format seems to be the logical next step.

At what point does a network or two expand the "Notre Dame" model and shatter the conference tie-ins, at least in football, to create a "super league" of colleges willing to compete among themselves? If the best-funded Power Five teams wanted to break away from the NCAA and run an independent league with CBS/NBC/FOX money, could they do it?

But here's the devil's advocate position: If Florida (or half of the colleges we consider for this Premier League) goes 2-10 or 1-11 every season, how do you maintain coaching, recruiting and fan interest? One of the positives about the "participation trophy bowls" is that 7-5 keeps your phony-baloney job for another season.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Put the top sixteen or twenty teams in one conference and some of those teams are going to lose five or six games a year. I'm not sure how sustainable that would be for the former top of their conference teams.

maumann likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the way it is now, 25 teams can go 9-3.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's so much focus on football like that, that it ignores a lot of the other benefits of what the current model does for other sports and even academics. Remember, besides being sports leagues a number of conferences share grant money, research, and academic assets among their member schools.
    Would Alabama or LSU break away and join a Top 25 mega conference for football that completely screws over the 10 or 15 other sports that they play? Especially when they have a pretty good thing going now? Would the SEC stand for those schools leaving in football and still allow them to be members for basketball, baseball, etc.? And that's without getting into state politics and whatnot. Can you imagine the shit show that would ensue if Alabama wanted to join a Top 25 conference and Auburn wasn't invited?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We don't deserve Mike Leach.

Batman likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of prefer a Champions League model. Have a couple of non-league games. Then a conference "tournament" most conferences would take a month or so - 10 conference champions (seeded) plus six at large - that's another month or so. Done.

maumann likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, other than last year. :)

They actually played a noon game in 2003, when both programs were still riding pretty high. Casey Clausen's second victory at The Swamp.

Amazing Clausen stat. He was 14-1 on the road.

jlee likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Ha. Serves me right for going from memory. I must have not watched for one reason or another.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

One of the coolest guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Tulane comes back from 21 down, uses runs Bumerooski fake kneel with 12 seconds left for 18, then scores on 60 yard TD pass to beat Houston 38-31 with no time left.

Draft saved Draft deleted